Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange New Creature  (Read 785 times)

duckynapalm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange New Creature
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »

I began a new fortress with the new version (yay finally out!!) right on top of a human town. I started it in the midst of a battle that looked a lot like a civil war. They were humans fighting humans, all of them friendly toward me. However, one of them known as the law-giver Alisa Iyathiamala Fidale Yawo was considered a "cavy brute." When I look up cavy, all I can find is a reference to guinea pigs, and yet her character sheet merely said:

So I'm wondering if this giant shapeshifting demon rodent/bird/spider was known to anyone else? It took a child, a priest, and a crossbowman to take her down, and she killed many a man. In my opinion, however, she wasn't as epic as this the enemy crossbowman-turned-hammerman that took out (I believe) at least 8 guys while almost completely broken with an arrow sticking out of his lung, to be finished by a lowly fisherman. The cavy's report is a paltry 27 pages whereas the crossbowman had more than 112 pages of fighting (some were deleted). I'm immensely relieved they are seen as friendly toward my dwarves.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange New Creature
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »

"Brute" appears to be some kind of template applied to a very small number of creatures during world gen. In my Small World, there was one -- a Lemur Brute. Akin to yours, it was "a lemur twisted into humanoid form," and it had managed to intimidate its way into an entity position. According to Legends, it was born in the Underworld but immediately escaped in the year 1. My brute became part of a goblin civilization, though, and I would be surprised if yours had squirmed into a human civ instead. "Law giver" is also a goblin entity position, idk if humans can also have it. You might have been witnessing human "members" of a goblin civilization (from whatever source) fighting the humans from a human civilization.

Anyway, yeah, about 99% sure brute is a template.

duckynapalm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:45 pm »

that would make a lot more sense than the civil war theory. It was entertaining to plunge right into the middle of a battle with a demon without getting hurt myself :P

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:40 pm »

Yeah I had Ligur the Gila Monster brute who was the leader of a small human civilisation. Most of the warlords wanted him dead but try as I may, I couldn't find the git in town.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »

he may have been off on a jaunt to the underworld at that particular moment, to tame the denziens down there.

they seem to do that from time to time, though i've got no idea how or why.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »

Yeah, Toady made it so that demons don't come in three variants, but rather a bunch of unique variants (you can choose how many in worldgen). All are RNG created and are very interesting. I had a llama made out of water that shot webs. Yikes.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »

well thay are demons the things made of nightmares and madness, so yea