Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarves that sought the stars  (Read 829 times)

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarves that sought the stars
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »

Exsmoxsmata is what they call this world, the Future Realm. For years we have stared at the stars, wondering and dreaming what is up there, what is up in Armokk's realm, and sailing through the Ether beyond our world and touching the stars. Perhaps there are other worlds out there? Perhaps there is nothing out there? Are stars made of fire? Of dust? Perhaps they are made of cheese? *I* will answer these questions! I intend to reach out to the stars, here at this place, Ceilingteacher, we will build an elevator into the heavens and then construct a mighty vessel with which to sail in the stars!

Rumor has it there are space elephants out there. Our ship will have to be well armed! But first things first, we must construct an elevator and a station from which to build our vessel!

(( This is what happens when I start a fortress based on the first names it gives me ))

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarves that sought the stars
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »

Out of curiosity, what's the Z-level ceiling? Is it hundreds of z-levels similar to how you can go hundreds down?

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »

Unfortunately it seems to be only 20. So 20 will have to stand in for space or something.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »

Dig out the hundreds of layers below and carve out your dwarven space ship o doom.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:01:54 pm »

There's an aboveground z-levels option in the worldgen parameters if you want to make it bigger. (Oddly, I can't find one for the total underground z-levels, which may just be me being a ditz again.)
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »

There's a parameter for "layers," each of which tacks on about 50 z-levels below surface, based on my experience. I think it goes between 0 and 3, but I've only designed and generated Small worlds so it may be different or dependent on something else.