Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wierd World  (Read 905 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Wierd World
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:03:13 am »

I just took a look at the world I was playing for a while now. It's the first and only one I genned in the new version and I have to say, its bonkers.

The whole map is more ocean than anything else. Its divided into two large "continents" a number of smaller islands and a larger glacier covering the southern map edge. The other map edges are all sea.

The interesting thing is that one continent is only humans, the other is dwarfs and goblins with human slaves(I'm playing there) and the elves are stranded with just one town on a remote island no one can reach :D .

I'm planning on playing this particular world to death. The possibilities are huge. I wonder if its possible to cross the ocean through the underworld to reach the elves and then slaughter them. Or building a multi world-tile bridge to connect the continents and then slaughter the elves.

Also this world reminds me of middle earth after the events of LotR somewhat.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:22:00 am by Toady Two »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd World
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:26:09 am »

Gratulations, you just genned your first "island" map. Players can now choose whether they want a huge landmass or a continent(s)/Isle(s) surrounded by water.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:26:08 am »

You could always be a legendary swimmer and SWIM across the ocean. Just bring fresh water and food.

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:18:42 am »

A world like this would actually encourage me to play Adventure mode, if only to endlessly attempt to be a subterranean Columbus and find the cave path to the human/elf continent.  Knowing my luck, though, I'd end up more like Magellan and find an angry tribe of antmen.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:53 am »

I've got a similar sort of world, where the elves are are in one settlement on one island. Maybe they don't expand as well without other races to nom nom on?

I also noticed in the world history logs that there were actually *two* elven civilizations, worshipping the same force. Can pantheons (or even just single deities) be shared across civilizations now?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:10:01 am »

You could always be a legendary swimmer and SWIM across the ocean. Just bring fresh water and food.

Salt water is !!FUN!! in the current release, you will bleed to death after your skin melts off.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:59:10 am »

I imagined training up an adventurer to legendary swimmer only to discover that he melts in saltwater xD .

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

in my world the only surviving Dwarven cive is on a large island separate from everyone else. I made a dwarf adventurer and traveled the island and was unable to find a cave entrance. so i decided to swim, there are a large number of small islands between the Dwarves and the mainland, took half an hour to get to the first one, and about a half an hour into the second leg, about one region away from land, winter arrives and the ocean freezes. >:(

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »

Is the saltwater thing true? If so toady is stealing ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jURDHRINY

:P