Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants  (Read 1471 times)

Azulth

• Bay Watcher
  • No.
    • View Profile
Migrants
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:13:48 am »

A High Master Mason/Adept Organizer just walked into my fortress.

I like this version.

Edit: A High Master weaver arrived in the same wave. Brilliant.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:35 am »

Just wait until you get the guy that is a master of all combat skills, or the high master weapon smith.

Won't be putting your migrants in the lava chamber any more, will you?

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:21 am »

Just wait until you get the guy that is a master of all combat skills, or the high master weapon smith.

Won't be putting your migrants in the lava chamber any more, will you?
Seems like toady was tired of us snubbing the offer of help by immigrants, and decided to make sure we'd never again set up elaborate kill chambers for immigrants.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:46:47 am »

I'd still like an option to disable migrants and/or caravans in certain forts, to either save fps, breed dwarves exclusively, or make a sealed-off fortress to the outside world without actually sealing it off.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:58 am »

Neato, I wanted to start a topic dedicated to the new immigrants too. A small autumn migration granted me Adil Dostoboddom:

Proficient Swordsdwarf
Proficient Shield User
Talented Armor User
Novice Bowdwarf
Proficient Fighter
Novice Archer
Talented Dodger
Novice Butcher
Adequate Tanner
Adequate Brewer
Adequate Miller
Adequate Thresher
Novice Cheese Maker
Novice Milker
Adequate Cook
Adequate Grower
Adequate Herbalist
Novice Diagnostician
Adequate Dyer
Talented Observer

And she's barely out of the ground: a mere 59 years old.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07:50 am »

If had a few high/grand masters of almost all useful trades in the first year. I'm not the one to complain, but I feel that spending points on embark skills was a waste.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

My favorite so far is the peasant whose only skill is:
Great swimmer

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

If had a few high/grand masters of almost all useful trades in the first year. I'm not the one to complain, but I feel that spending points on embark skills was a waste.

Just spend them all skill points on kicking and biting.
Then assert dominance over the zone.

(okay, now I HAVE to start a fortress with 7 biters/ambushers and a butcher's workshop).
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:58:11 am »

Has anyone else noticed the "Teaching" skill? What exactly does that do.. does that mean that we can now have dwarven classrooms?.. CAUSING MY SIG TO BECOME REAL? :o
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:01:20 am »

Hi!

Has anyone else noticed the "Teaching" skill? What exactly does that do.. does that mean that we can now have dwarven classrooms?.. CAUSING MY SIG TO BECOME REAL? :o

A while ago, Toady One posted in the development log, I think, about a dwarf who overcame being a dabbling crossbow user (I think) and then went off to gather a crowd and tell them about crossbow usage. So, I think that skill is related to that, although my dwarves have been far too busy to do any of that (^_^;;

Deathworks

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:42 am »

Teaching is used by military Dwarves for training other Dwarves in the skills they've been trained in.  It basically determines how much of their skill in their fighting talents they can imbue into their students, as well as how fast (well, kinda; the student's ability to pick up on combat skills also influences that).
Sanity is for the weak.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:58 am »

I think, teaching is for military only. There's always a drill instructor organizing and the rest of the squad waiting for the training to begin and then training. It probably makes training more effective. My military leader went from zero to "adequate teacher". Having dwarfs teach civilian skills would be cool though.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 11:07:45 am »

I think I win. One of my migrants was an accomplished Wound Dresser and Suturer. Yay, free doctor!
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

High Master Soaper.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »

High Master Soaper.

How fortunately that the dwarven Renaissance has come, else that would have varranted a forced carrer choice; military or the graveyard.