Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whining and crying about sparring  (Read 1026 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whining and crying about sparring
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

Why is sparring just this optional random thing that sometimes "off duty" military people do? Why not just have "spar" be an assignable task from the barracks, and any military dwarf will spar for a bit? I understand that perhaps this would allow for rapid legendary dwarves, but on the other hand..

"Deep in the forests lies the fortress Askanink, The Melting Swordfish. Its people  all spend hours upon hours training in the arts of war, spending entire years on wrestling before ven being considered basic soldiers. They are an elite force, and to be feared."

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Whining and crying about sparring
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

Also you will have less "occasions" when in large military you forgot to remove someone's spear =).

Another option would be nice - "disarm all" and then "spar at barracks" and then "rearm" =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

A better (and more "normal") solution would be for the task of sparring to always presume the use of relatively harmless training weapons, no matter what masterwork adamantium death blade happens to be sheathed at your hip.

Having soldiers pick up a sparring weapon (from nearby bin or, in the future, weapon rack), spar, then drop it or put it back down when they stop, would not be a big deal.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

to be honest, and maybe I am lucky, I haven't had THAT many sparring accidents.  There have certainly been a few, but those are mostly from a recruit in leather sparring with a champion with an exceptional weapon or something of the kind.

Steel plate to steel plate usually works well regardless of the weapon or skill sets used.

Anyone with neck/spine/brain damage (and survives) ends up getting a cross bow, so its not that bad.  Anyone getting severe damage and walks slowly about, gets a crossbow and introduction to the fortress guard, or placed into a special military unit that serves as a pin cushion in the event a seige or ambush takes place.

igless

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:16:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

Whenever a dwarf goes to a barracks to train, they can temporarily pick up a training weapon in the barracks if one of the appropriate type is available (otherwise just use the one it has).

Also, sparring as an actual job would be nice (they can go 'on break' just like any other dwarf).  I'm tired of having them just hang out chatting and only sparring once in a blue moon if they feel like it, while other dwarfs actually go about their business.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

I've only lost one dwarf to sparring in my last two forts. And in the first, I didn't even had copper armor.

Now, it would be nice if the dwarves would use some less-lethal options but... have you ever been hit with a wooden sword? It HURTS. You can break bones with it. I think some risk should certainly be present, just not sliced off limbs and such.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

The idea isnt that there isnt any risk, it is that a wooden sword does a fraction of the damage of a steel sword.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

Yeah. There would still be risk... just not fresh recruits accidentally cutting your legendary axedwarves head off cos they were sparring with masterpiece steel battle-axes.

kamikazemoose

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

It would be nice if you could fill the weapon rack(s) in a barracks with the weapons you want to be used by dwarves for training. When they're of to train they pick up a weapon (of the type they're assigned to use) and sparr with it then put it back. Maybe the weapon they usually carry around could be in their backpack or something or stored in another (or the same) weapon rack.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

I don't think dwarves would get hurt by sparring with wooden weapons. They are not the weak fleshy things we humans are, they are tougher.
I'd also welcome them to automatically pick up the worst weapons for sparring, though. It's kind of unsettling, when a rookie pierces the brain of a legendary champion with a steel spear.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!