Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunter won't hunt  (Read 3146 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Hunter won't hunt
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »

He's armed with a Copper Crossbow and there are plenty of Copper bolts and fifteen Stray Horse Bone bolts, but even when there are Deer and Black Bears running about he WILL NOT DO ANYTHING. He sits around, he eats, and after I enabled fishing, when there's fish, he'll fish for 'em, but otherwise he is COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS.

Butchery is enabled on him, but I don't really have anything that needs butchering-though my dwarves are starving.

Eh, fuck it, I'll probably just pierce the aquifer and make a farming complex, if my herbalists can feed my dwarves long enough off just that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter won't hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »

You need a quiver for the hunter to hunt. They will no longer carry ammo in a free hand. Probably need to have outside refuse gather on too, to get 'im to haul the corpse to the shop.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:22:59 pm »

Well, he's got the quiver now, but we're out of surface critters.

nevertheless, maybe I'll be able to find something in the depths to eat.

I've also started a small farming complex, and I pray to the Emperor this one actually works.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »

I'm finding breeding pits with airlocks (2+ pet forbidden doors) actually work if you want to try ranching.

There should be some pre-muddied locations not too far underground.

I embarked on a location with no surface water features so had a tough time getting any irrigation going. What I finally did was channel out a pit from the surface and did surface crop farms in there.

edit: Meant to post, hunting seems to have a lower priority than 40d, I eventually got mine to hunt full time by disabling all his other labors.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:11:30 pm by freeze »

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:34 pm »

I had the same problem with my hunter not hunting.  Then I saw in another thread that the new version requires you to allocate ammunition to your hunters from the (m)ilitary screen.  Once I allocated some ammo my hunter went to work (I may have had to toggle the hunting labor after allocating the ammo, can't remember).

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »

I wish there was a toggle that kept all incoming hunters from hunting.  I had one show up, that tried to kill a band of horses, but succeeded only in making them all bleed.  There were zig zagging blood trails eveywhere, right up till he ran out of bolts.  Then they tried to break into my base...

Oh stonefall traps don't work very well any more.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Trowzers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:25:42 am »

I'm still having trouble getting my hunter to hunt.  Unfortunately, I've now tried so many things that I can't remember in what order I did everything, but hunters definitely have bolts assigned to them in the military screen, he has a quiver and crossbow (but for some reason has thrown off all his clothes and is now obsessed with storing them one by one in his room - completely naked except for a crossbow and quiver).  There is plenty of wildlife present.  I've tried removing and readding the hunting labor, but I have a funny feeling that when I accidentally put him into the military and took him back out it broke him somehow :( Pity, as he's a pretty good hunter.