Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The coma that killed a fortess  (Read 1631 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The coma that killed a fortess
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:12:11 am »

Once upon a time i builts a fort. Some guy was chopping down trees and fell into the waters and drowns. I waited till winters for water to turn to ice to get his bodies. I got him in a caskets, and i placed him in my underground watering hole, that had only a tiny bit of waters since the ice all freeze before i could filled it ups.

I would learn to regret this decision.

Anyway some trade people came and i was way behind on my fortess due to my lallygagging. So i had no trade depot, and i was too lazy to build a new one. So i decided to have my miltary beat up the camel that came with the traders. The camel kick our ass so i was all like i dont want no one to die cause of no camel so i was all like stop the fights. Anyway one miller really took a beating, and he decided he wanted some waters and he went to the underground watering hole.

And he passed out.
Right by the coffin.
And the watering hole.

And then this starting to happen. "Blah blah cancels sleep: interupted by miller guy"
And then they all were getting thirsty so this started to happen "Blah blah cancels drink: interrupted by miller guy"
And one by one all my dwarfs went into the watering hole, but each one was interrupted by the miller guy. No jobs could get done, or anything, because they were all down there, trying to get water. I figure the only thing to do now is wait for summer.

Then they started to die from dehydration
One by one. Funky death smells started to fill the room as each dwarf tried to get waters but coma man was interputing thems. And then the other dwarfs begin interrupting each other. And then they were all dead, except for coma man.
So there was coma man, in a coma. And here i was waiting for summer.

It finally came, and coma man drowned, right next to that coffin.

The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: The coma that killed a fortess
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:29:36 am »

Cool story...
Bro

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:27:18 am »

You aren't my bro.......
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:52:03 am »

So he fell on top of a hole?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:16:57 am »

In its own way, I rather like this twisted tale.  I don't understand how you could have gotten that message, it's not so and so cancels give water, no water (or) no bucket, right?

Cause if you have an unconscious thirsty person, even if they are not hurt, even if they are just asleep, the fortress thinks it's time to bring them water.  And if you dont have a bucket, yep a lot of spam will come.  Least, this happens to me in version 31.10 now, didn't before.

I can see that though, the pathways all dug out for the water to fill the waterhole, but winter freezes everything up before much gets filled...  So you use the space and someone passes out down there too.  Come the melt, the hole fills...  A tale nearly fitting of Poe  ;)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.