Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen layer options  (Read 2022 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
World gen layer options
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:43:22 pm »

I've been playing around with the layer options and I thought others might find some of the info useful:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going no magma and no bottom layer cuts the z-levels down quite a bit, so someone on a low end computer could up their performance that way if they didn't mind missing out on magma and some HFS (or if they settled on a volcano). Reducing the levels above ground helps too (less sky), but would prevent you from building upwards (tower or whatever). Reducing cavern layers can cut down on z-levels too, but you miss out on the potential fun of cavern systems. You could get by with 1 cavern layer and still get migrating underground fun.

An example 1 cavern system map came out with 14 z-levels. 1 sky, ground, and 12 below ground. 6 of them were the cavern system, one was a deep rock layer below the caves, and the other 5 were soil and rock above the cavern system.

Reducing everything to minimum and cavern layers to 0 is not advised unless you want a non-digging farming simulation or something, since it gives you a grand total of 3 z levels - sky (which walls can't be built on), ground, and soil underground. On the plus side, even an old crappy computer could probably run a decent sized fort with so few levels haha. It might be interesting playing on this in a forest by a river and just importing everything, building yourself a castle out of imported stone or local wood (could increase the sky z-levels to allow building more than 1 level up).

Things are obviously going to vary based on the site picked though. If you pick a flat area you'll get less z-levels than a cliff, and picking a site beside an ocean seems to give you a really deep underground (the 1 cavern map has places where that one cavern goes 100 z-levels deep, where otherwise its only 11).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World gen layer options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

CTD, took my whole underground ground level fort with it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: World gen layer options
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

???

What caused a CTD?

I havent crashed once while playing with the options, so getting a crash due to changing them would be odd...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link