Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm breaking my NDA for the DF2 beta.  (Read 2193 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm breaking my NDA for the DF2 beta.
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »

The truth needs to be known, Toad-man. You can't fight the flow of information. So I take your non-disclosure agreement and I'm throwing it out the window. What're you going to do, huh? HUH? Yeah, that's right.

So, DF2 has been in beta for a while now. Why do you think it's taking so long for the new DF1 release to come out? I'm not saying that DF1 will stop existing or anything, but from the amount of resources that we've seen Toady layout for this, it's clear where the priority will be.

The first thing that shocked me is that a lot of the procedural stuff is being removed. I can see where he's coming from though - he really wants to form an epic story. To tell his story. And the focus on episodic content is really exciting - it's come full circle in a way. We're moving from frequent gameplay releases with little narrative, to frequent narrative releases that don't try to throw in every new cool feature. I think it's the way to go to make DF2 a really fantastic game.

Now I don't want to ruin the story for any of you, but it's really cool so far. The opening animation really nails the heartstrings if you ever played the old 2D mode, it's really quite sad. But a lot changes between the two games. It's a darker, edgier story. You'll really hate the Big Bad and I gotta tell you, you really feel for the Elves. They've been the brunt of a lot of jokes around here, but when you see their tiger-back cavalry charge- oops, said too much already. And I know they have some fans out there, and Toady is a huge one, so yes - Cutebolds are in. They serve very much as the comedic element of the story, and provide much needed relief. It's a dark world, but it seems much darker against a little light, you know?

So here's the part that you've all been waiting for. Yes, there's multiplayer. Yes, it's fun. It's something I don't really think we've ever seen before in a game - it's large, epic, sweeping. It's team based but there's plenty of cool 'lone wolf' moments, too. There's a whole variety of different gameplay modes as well to mix things up - Toady's netcode isn't the strongest, but it holds up quite nicely. My favourite is a Magma Race mode, where you've got to carry your flag above the steadily rising tide of magma, and the first team to get their flag burned loses. I've had some tense moments where I've swooped in at the last minute and blasted their carrier just out of reach of his teammates, and they had to sit and watch as their flag caught fire and was destroyed. Great stuff. The only part of it I don't like is the collectable / customisation thing. It's cool, yeah, but didn't we learn from TF2 that collecting hats isn't the best way to go? I'm sure it'll be all fixed by the time the open beta comes out.

And is it still ASCII? Well, a man's got to have some secrets, I guess ;) But a few things I can reveal:

• It's now multicored. Toady has listened and has designed everything in this game from the ground up - rendering, AI, networking - all takes advantage of as many cores as you're willing to throw at it.
  • XNA based rendering engine. Toady really wants this thing to be bleeding edge, and boy does it show. The move to SM3.0 really makes you go "wow". Plus - and I don't want to cause alarm or anything - this means that it's easy to port to Xbox 360, and with the new control system, I can quite easily see a gamepad being used...
  • The first release will have two campaigns, one for the humans, one for the Dwarves (what's left of them ;) ) I've only played a bit of both, and the story is still in a state of flux, but so far it's great. The human intro is really funny, that ThreeToe sure knows how to write. I'm not sure if the Cutebolds will get a campaign, but they're quite active NPCs. Think of them like Moogles, I guess. And as for the Elves? Well, wait and see...
  • And lastly... it's open source! That's right, the engine used to power the game will be released as GPL upon release (all the story elements will of course be copyrighted) But this means that you can create whole new games with that great DF2 core! Hooray!
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm breaking my NDA for the DF2 beta.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:55:39 pm »

I haven't had quite enough tequila to believe you.  Considering how spinny my keyboard is looking, thats saying something.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:45 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51912.0

Shit! Didn't know it had already leaked. Well, you want to know what I didn't reveal, go there I guess. I'm open to any questions, of course.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:08:53 pm »

FEAR MY POWER!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »

You have the power to post the same image in multiple threads for no reason. Kudos!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:44 pm »

Yay for April Fools Day.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:05 pm »

You have the power to post the same image in multiple threads for no reason. Kudos!

Infinite magma is no match for infinite cats!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:52 pm »

Yay for April Fools Day.

15 minutes too early, at least from my perspective.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:46:31 pm »

You mean... April Fool's Day doesn't start for everyone on the planet at the same time? I'm shattered, sir.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:24 pm »

sounds good
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:12 pm »

This april fools thing goes for that script writing too.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 12:16:26 am »

I've seen this before, And I say "Booo."

Boooo!

Boooo!
Signature goes here.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 02:13:04 am »

Infinite magma is no match for infinite cats!
Actually, finite magma could destroy infinite cats.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 02:16:02 am »

This April fools day gag fails rather epically by promising WAY too much, I saw through you before you even finished the introduction.  The point is to fool people with something that's a stretch but still believable enough to get most people to believe it.  Something like a secret feature for the upcoming release might have worked but not this.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download