Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop designations  (Read 353 times)

Lege

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Workshop designations
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »

I think the player should be able to designate workshops to particular single/multiple dwarf/dwarves so they're the only ones allowed to use them.

Why?

Let's imagine you had one, perhaps two legendary masons, and a horde of novices. You wish to expand your accomodation, and your attempts are effectively slowed by having to micromanage your novice masons to leave their mason assignments since you'd like to build some high quality cabinets and coffers. But then, a great number of immigrants suddenly arrive and you feel the need to finish your furniture as soon as possible without compromising the quality of the few coffers and cabinets you're crafting for any possible nobles, although the quality of the peasants' furniture is of no concern.

And then you'd wish you didn't have to de-assign all the novice masons before all that and could simply put them working in another mason's workshop.

Likewise, you could build all the furniture that don't necessarily need to be finely crafted, like floodgates, from the undesignated "novice" workshop.

Sound good?

[ September 04, 2006: Message edited by: Lege ]

[ September 05, 2006: Message edited by: Lege ]

gilrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop designations
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »

I have wished for this hundreds of times.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:03:00 am »

I would particularly like the option, in the manager screen, to set the minimum and maximum skill level of those who take up a particular task. Same with the regular workshops - just throw in a hotkey to increase the minimum and maximum skill level. I suspect it would be pretty easy to implement, and would certainly spare the weaponcrafting tasks from being overrun by dwarves with novice weaponsmith/skilled metalsmith in their skillset.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:41:00 am »

This is already a req, or maybe a bloat, I forget.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games