Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Am i insane?  (Read 2874 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Am i insane?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »

Sometimes I get dream vertigo and bolt upright and awake, because I feel like I'm falling off a cliff.

Anyway, any kind of prolonged discomfort can do odd things to the brain. Ensure that you do not drink much of anything before bed, and ensure that you have completely... Evacuated, before going to sleep.

I think I read somewhere that the vertigo feeling is caused when your muscles relax while you're still in a lucid state. You feel vertigo, which causes you to tense up and wake.

Anyway, not that uncommon. I've had that feeling a fair few times.

I have a similar feeling, except that I actually seem to be falling and hit the bed with a nice 'thud'. I've heard similar things about this, but it was indicated to me that it's a muscle spasming/sudden tension-and-release that causes the entire body to flop upward, waking you up in time for you to realize you're falling down.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:35 am »

I actually have fallen and hit the bed with a thud, from several feet up.  Granted, it's always just a very realistic hypnagogic hallucination, that doesn't change the sheer insanity of falling through your bed and landing back in it a few seconds later.
Shoes...

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 07:53:07 am »

Last night I had a dream about if the world resembled minecraft.

I woke up holding a block made of Magnetix in one hand and a sword of Magnetix in the other.

As for the post above this one, I've done that too before. It's quite a scare waking up with the sense you've just fallen from a few feet up. For most people. I'm used to jumping off of stuff, I imagine it'd be quite humorous watching me wake up feeling like I just fell and watching me attempting to roll forward.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 08:03:11 pm »

I've been caught sleepwalking, and ended up going to the kitchen for doritos whilst sleepwalking.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 08:05:49 pm »

I actually have fallen and hit the bed with a thud, from several feet up.  Granted, it's always just a very realistic hypnagogic hallucination, that doesn't change the sheer insanity of falling through your bed and landing back in it a few seconds later.

I know this is a common occurrence, but sometimes when I'm going to sleep I suddenly get a WOAH felling like I just fell all of a sudden.  My eyes open and everything and it's pretty shocking.  I'm not sure what it's called again though.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:20 pm »

You guys really do that all in your sleep?

Sometimes I turn off my alarm clock in my sleep, the problem is that you have to rotate it to turn it off.

Makes me wonder what else a person can do in their sleep... *thinks about mega project building in sleep*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:09 pm »

You guys really do that all in your sleep?

Sometimes I turn off my alarm clock in my sleep, the problem is that you have to rotate it to turn it off.

Makes me wonder what else a person can do in their sleep... *thinks about mega project building in sleep*

My ex-girlfriend gave me an alarm clock for Christmas two years ago that was very neat. It had plastic shapes that popped out of the alarm when it went off, spilling them to opposite corners of the room, and you had to put each of the shapes back into it to turn it off. The flaws were that the sound was too pleasant to wake anybody up, and I eventually subverted going around and collecting shapes by jamming my fingers into the holes and pushing the pressure pads down.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »

Wierd sleepwalking stuff runs in my family.  I remember when I was really little, waking up to a noise.  My father had gotten up in his sleep, apparantly was going hunting in his dream, and was putting on all his camo gear.  He had knocked over something, and that woke my mom and me up.

When I was in high school my parents caught me sleepwalking and making sandwiches and eating them, jogging outdoors, and showering while fully clothed.  I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, so not much danger of anything to bad happening.  While I was a freshman in college, I woke up occasionally in other dorms.  Apparantly I would go hand out with friends, watching movies and stuff all while asleep.

Luckily, since I started grad school and got married I haven't been doing anything more unusual than occasional muttering or getting up and wondering around the house.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 01:13:18 am »

My family seems to have a history of sleepwalkers. Most of the time, its just mumbling, but my sister once ate a (real) bagel that was given to her while asleep. I've once walked over to a door, said "this is the way out" before turning the lights on and off. We were a big family, so I shared that room.

Also, I may have gone to the dentist while asleep, since everyone said I did, or I could just be going senile.

weulitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

I think I read somewhere that the vertigo feeling is caused when your muscles relax while you're still in a lucid state. You feel vertigo, which causes you to tense up and wake.

Anyway, not that uncommon. I've had that feeling a fair few times.

The "funnier" version is sleep paralysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis) on waking up. Happens when your brain wakes up from REM before the body paralysis has ended. Leaves you more or less fully conscious but without any control over your body - very disturbing, at least until you know that it is harmless.
Extra fun and panic of suffocation if you wind up with the blanket over your head.
"You'll be pausing to check what that little ~ means every 5 seconds for a while, but before you know it you'll be reading a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress like the guys in the Matrix decipher that green crap that scrolls down their screens."
quoted from Dr.Jonez on the Gamerswithjobs Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3]