Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning Buildings?  (Read 473 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Burning Buildings?
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »

I've been seeing various instances throughout the past few topics of coal constructions or something of that nature being able to be set on fire after a previously ignited material such as a persons clothes coming into contact with it.

Seeing as it involved fire, I'm intrigued and wondering if I could utilize this to make a flaming construct of some sort as my next project. My questions being can the construct be made of any type of fuel material like plain charcoal and am I correct in the method of ignition?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Burning Buildings?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

The topics you've read were likely baseless speculation, sorry - any construction built with b-C (ie. floors, stairs, fortifications, walls) cannot be destroyed through any means other than a cave-in. Certain constructions can be set on fire I think, like pumps and supports and whatnot, but I don't think you can alight any construction that you would build a fortress out of.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »

Would be a great "last resort" trap -- a bridge built of wood with an oil-soaked floor of coal blocks or something. "The goblins are breaking through! Squad Lanterns of Hanging has been annihalated! IGNITE THE BRIDGE! Do it NOW!"
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:41:05 pm »

Buildings, which include workshops, roads, pumps, trade depots, and bridges, can be destroyed by fire or magma.

Constructions, which include walls, floors, fortifications, stairs, and ramps, are as far as I have been able to tell indestructible to fire, magma, or building destroyers.  They can be destroyed by cave-ins, but as far as I know that's all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.