Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bauxite Mechanisms  (Read 3005 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Bauxite Mechanisms
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:01:06 am »

Given the lack of rough bauxite, however, it's best to use metallic floodgates. Nickel silver, steel, iron or (I think) nickel would all do the job.
I modded bauxite to appear as large clusters in all stone layers. I suggest you do the same. The mechanisms still need to be made of bauxite anyway.

Actually, I've learned to love my chalk and limestone layers.  Don't embark without them!

But seriously, sedimentary layers are your friend.  They're totally worth regenning worlds multiple times to find in a region you are interested in embarking in.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 11:43:42 am »

Given the lack of rough bauxite, however, it's best to use metallic floodgates. Nickel silver, steel, iron or (I think) nickel would all do the job.
I modded bauxite to appear as large clusters in all stone layers. I suggest you do the same. The mechanisms still need to be made of bauxite anyway.

Actually, I've learned to love my chalk and limestone layers.  Don't embark without them!

But seriously, sedimentary layers are your friend.  They're totally worth regenning worlds multiple times to find in a region you are interested in embarking in.

I actually ended up doing exactly that as I was starting this fortress. I finally found a great site with a magma pipe, a good climate, a brook, trees, and a good sedimentary layer with tons of iron ores and such. Nothing terribly exciting (though making someone a hunter is a death sentence since a small amount of the map is evil and has some undead stuff) but I'm still a noob at the game.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 03:59:23 am »

It's not usually necessary to go to great lengths to preserve your bauxite.  If you can embark with some, then you will be able to request it from your liaison (unless he has an unfortunate accident) whenever you need more.  If you can find even one deposit, that's enough bauxite for practically any magma megaproject.  Even in the multiply unfortunate case of having none on-site and none at the mountainhome/no liaison, you can use pumps for almost all magma control situations.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 04:06:09 am »

If you're going to resort to mods, just use the melting point mods.  It add sensible melting points to all rocks, with the result that you can then use things like quartzite for magma-proof mechanisms and such instead.  I don't even count it as a hack, since there are plenty of rocks that should have higher melting points than bauxite anyway.

if you're going to resprt to mods, just make metals with the "any use" and "weapon" tags. BADABING - instant forge-made mechanisms, with total control over which metal to make them from. (side effects may include metal siege engines, crossbows, and clothing decoration)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:16:21 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:34 am »

If you're going to resort to mods, just use the melting point mods.  It add sensible melting points to all rocks, with the result that you can then use things like quartzite for magma-proof mechanisms and such instead.  I don't even count it as a hack, since there are plenty of rocks that should have higher melting points than bauxite anyway.

if you're going to resprt to mods, just make metals with the "any use" and "weapon" tags. BADABING - instant forge-made mechanisms, with total control over which metal to make them from. (side effects may include metal siege engines, crossbows, and clothing decoration)

I thought you could already make metal crossbows?  Or was that another mod that sneaked in with Mike Mayday's set?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »

You can make metal crossbows by default.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »

whups. My bad. The Siege Engine parts are new, though. I'm not sure what other odd things are added by those two tags. And whenever anyone starts making gears by smelter reaction, or worrying too much about how to get a mechanic to use the right rocks... well, it just seems a shame that proper metal mechanisms aren't a common mod.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:17:22 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 10:40:08 pm »

I use a atom smasher (bridge) over a quantum stockpile (dump). They're seal-able by a door. I keep my bauxite in a regular stockpile. When I want it to be used specifically, I seal off all the other stone.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...
Pages: 1 [2]