Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are ponds freezing too fast?  (Read 1020 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are ponds freezing too fast?
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:18:49 am »

I was doing some swimming training and checked the temperature.  "It's Scorching!"  Jump in and swim about for about 400 experience points and get encased in Ice. 

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are ponds freezing too fast?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:33:05 pm »

I've been walking between towns, and all the ponds froze up long before the temperature got as low as "warm"

So, yeah - not just you.

Grub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

Yeah, all the ponds and stuff are ice no matter where I go. I'm beginning to wonder where on earth I'm going to get water from!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:52 am »

I was merilly slaying my whole hometown with my superhuman strength and stuff. I go into the mead hall, which has a pond right outside of it, to slay the goblin leader (the human civilization I'm in seems to be friends with goblins, or was taken over by them at some point. World is 1050 years old since I didn't bother stopping it). It only took a few turns, and I even jumped off the balcony to get out quicker. Night had fallen and at first i thought that the game had glitched and let me hover over the pond. Just to make sure I look at the pond and it's covered in ice, and so are the rest. I check the temPerature just to see what was going on, but it said it was warm... I dunno if it had anything to do with nighttime.

Also unrelated, my town had what I thhink was supposed to be a bridge but ended up being some weird contorted monstrosity... it was as if the bridge was split in half and turned in on itself in a 90 degree angle.

EDIT: Also, it was raining, then when it went dark and the ponds froze over, the rain turned to snow
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:06:55 pm by OzyTheSage »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:15:42 pm »

I was swimming between islands (only way to get from the dwarven lands to the mainland) and the ocean froze. The Salt Water Ocean!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

I'm going to take advantage of this to have some snowball fights with the locals. Of course, they'll be throwing bronze bolts and arrows at me, which is cheating, but hey... =P

EDIT: Damn, dawn broke and my backpack is full of water... oh well... I'll throw water at them =p it's funny because water seems to act just like any other projectile =) I'll have to try it with blood.

what's cool was I slaughtered a dozen guys in one spot, left quickly and came back and noticed I was leaving a trail of blood on they round. I knew I wasn't injured, so I looked around. I guess it's because my axe was completely soaked with it =P Also got to see how it's keeping track of how many kills it has which is awesome.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:42:08 pm by OzyTheSage »

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:38:09 am »

Yeah, all the ponds and stuff are ice no matter where I go. I'm beginning to wonder where on earth I'm going to get water from!
from the blood of your enemies (or your own) of course

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »

I had the same problem; as an adventurer I was killed while swimming in a river in a scorching desert.

I did some experimentation and found /all/ bodies of water instantly freeze whenever nightfall comes no matter what the temperature is. This is definitely a bug.

Mostly, since I walked across nearly an entire frozen ocean, and several frozen rivers next to a warm jungle, and as soon as the sun rises they turn back to water.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity