Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some odd questions  (Read 1975 times)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some odd questions
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:56:08 am »

Will trees grow Indoors?  Say if I build a very large roof over a valley, will trees and shrubs still grow?

Will rain replenesh roofed over Murky pools?

What if I used Grates in the above questions as the roof?

Will Marksdwarfs fire down through grated or bared flooring into the z-levels below?  Will they fire through grated ceilings?

How do I get my Dwarfs to make Whips?  Adding Whips to the Civ in the Raws has added metal Whips to the Dwarf Trade Caravans... but not to my workshops.  Though I'd rather by able to make them from Leather... but metal lashes are pretty damn cool too.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some odd questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:28 am »

Yes, trees grow in overfloored tiles that have been touched by the sun.

No, a murky pool with a roof on top of it can't be refilled by rain.

No idea about grates or marksdwarves or whips.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:25 am »

I believe grates on top of a murky pool still make the pool tiles "inside" and therefore they will not fill.

I'm not sure about the whips, but because I know you can't add new products to any workshops other than smelters, my uninformed opinion is that adding Whips as a dwarven weapon will allow your dwarves to use whips, but they will never be able to make them.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:42:48 am »

you can't really make grates over a murky pool because they have to be adjacent to solid floor and murky pools are generally wider than 2x2

as for farms just make a hole into soil and roof it over
The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:41:51 am »

What if I used Grates in the above questions as the roof?
I'm pretty sure that Grates, being mere buildings, don't make things below them count as "inside".

Will Marksdwarfs fire down through grated or bared flooring into the z-levels below?  Will they fire through grated ceilings?
I expect that they wouldn't, since grates block items normally (and fortifications, which dwarves can shoot through, specifically don't block items.)

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:47:31 am »

Dwarves cant use whips in this version. In the next, they will.

You can still use them in weapon traps though.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »

I expect that they wouldn't, since grates block items normally (and fortifications, which dwarves can shoot through, specifically don't block items.)

Except that you can shoot through Wall Grates.

Hmm.  Geuss I'll have to experiment with floor and ceiling grates.

I believe grates on top of a murky pool still make the pool tiles "inside" and therefore they will not fill.

Good to know.

I'm not sure about the whips, but because I know you can't add new products to any workshops other than smelters, my uninformed opinion is that adding Whips as a dwarven weapon will allow your dwarves to use whips, but they will never be able to make them.

It also has them show up in the Dwarf Trade Caravans... as Metal Whips.  So I can atleast buy them for use ...

Exactly.

My Hall of a Thousand Lashes shall be completed!

Just, I have to buy them one or two at a time over the years...  le sigh...

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:28:23 pm »

Exactly.

My Hall of a Thousand Lashes shall be completed!

Just, I have to buy them one or two at a time over the years...  le sigh...
Or, you know, just wait for Goblin Christmas to arrive.  You'll get a few more every year if you're a good dwarf overseer.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »

Or, you know, just wait for Goblin Christmas to arrive.  You'll get a few more every year if you're a good dwarf overseer.

To be honest the whole reason I added them was so I could make them and have the Goblin Grand Welcoming Hall ready for Gobbo Christmas.

Now alas, I can not give the Goblins the Back Slapping Welcome I'd hoped for.  I geuss they'll have to settle for the Grand Communal Elf and Goblin Bathing Chambers instead.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:53:23 pm »

Actually, you can make whips of obsidian by adding [SHARP]-tag on whips.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »

Hmm, actually, I looked that up in the wiki.  According to it, [SHARP] is a stone tag, used only for obsidian.  The tag you want to add to make rock-whips is [CAN_STONE], which allows you to make it out of [SHARP] stones.  Or, you could add [METAL] to make it out of normal metal.

Of course, now that I've looked this up, I'm tempted to make some awesome weapons, with perhaps both [Heat] and [COLD] damage (sets something on fire, and then freezes it).  Fireball crossbows anyone?
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:46 pm »

Yeah, tags anyways... It's 1 am here. I was too lazy to check thqt from wiki. Sorry.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:49:50 pm »

Hmm, actually, I looked that up in the wiki.  According to it, [SHARP] is a stone tag, used only for obsidian.  The tag you want to add to make rock-whips is [CAN_STONE], which allows you to make it out of [SHARP] stones.  Or, you could add [METAL] to make it out of normal metal.

Of course, now that I've looked this up, I'm tempted to make some awesome weapons, with perhaps both [Heat] and [COLD] damage (sets something on fire, and then freezes it).  Fireball crossbows anyone?

Ehhh... tags don't quite work that way.

Adding [CAN_STONE] to Whips does nothing, neither does METAL.  There is no placeholder for Whips in the Workshops it's seems.

I'll just have to buy them or add them as a reaction to the Smelter or Extra Corpse Loot if I want them the "fast cheesy" way.