Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Neverending Fortress  (Read 2057 times)

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Neverending Fortress
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 04:07:37 pm »

This thread should be moved to DF Community Games & Stories.

Can I have a dwarf?  Name it Moose.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 08:45:28 pm »

Me = disappointed.

At least build a pair of sphinxes flanking your entrance eventually. Which shoot laser beams magma from their eyes.

And don't forget the anatomically realistic details. Built from hard stone.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

Dear Armok, it has been over a year since I wrote in our Logs.   Not that it could be helped, we moved in by Autumn, thank Ostelth, and have long since forgotten the problems of starving.   

Then we dug deep to the bottom of the mountain, out to the brook.  We intended for this three way tunnel system to allow us to bring in water and traders, and make a wonderful 'greeting' for the Orcs should they bother us.   They did, and before the thing was finished.

We holed up behind our walls, the seven of us far ill-equipped or trained to deal with them returning so fast.  They stayed, obviously having caught note of us having survived and gained sustenance, bastards.

Canu was getting bored, so we butchered up a batch of cats, and gave him a rusty crossbow that we had found outside, and let him go to it,, not having anyone to spar with him for melee arts.   The Orcs eventually left, but not before sitting around for nearly two seasons.

Then the unthinkable happened.

We had dwarven visitors, not just wandering traders, but, migrants?  Besides wondering if our ale had been pissed in by the cats again, we were all trampled by Clanratc, who ran the distance to them in an instant.   It was a lovely reunion with his child and brother.   Apparently she had been "made possession" of the King, fat old sack of catflesh, to "improve his quality of life".   She had been saved by a child recruit named Atreyu, who seems to fancy himself the greatest warrior ever.  Methinks I see a rivalry coming.

Others came as well, victims of the usual bueraucratic bullshit.  I've always wondered how a blacksmith or farmer is worth less for "survival rates" than a Duke, who happens to eat three times as much as the rest, but it is the fate of Despotisms I guess. 

Here we will make a better life, if we don't die first.

Honestly though, we're doing pretty good at that, and the mood throughout the fortress has definetly improved.   For very obvious reasons.

We are now finishing up our three way tunneling system, bringing us fresh water and irrigation from ten levels below.  It is a task I relish with anticipation, and hope I haven't gotten rusty with my mechanincs over the last year.

Canu is an amazing man, the stories he told of the old Fortress he resided at give all of us great hope we can survive here.  NotMeh has also taken great interest in what Canu knows of the great hunter Bunz.

I have asked him to repeat his visions of the last battle of Ushilkeshan Sedilgesorbisol Alnis many times.   It is tragic what happened there, and we do best to not repeat their mistakes of low in-fort supply.  It is good to have the man with us though, he gets more of his skill back every day, soon he will be playing Armokarathbal with ever Orc who dares cross us.  Then again, I think he much prefers Swords to hammers.

Maybe things will turn out fine.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 11:26:49 am »

Me = disappointed.

At least build a pair of sphinxes flanking your entrance eventually. Which shoot magma from their eyes, water from their mouths, and have archers in each toe.
Fixed, for the dorfwin.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:16 pm »

NO ****ING NO.

YOU PIECE OF *BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*.

****ING POWER SURGE.

RIGHT

IN

THE

MIDDLE

OF

SAVING.

DAMMIT.

****ing save's borked, ****ing wonderful.

And this one was actually going well. :(

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49:21 pm »

Are you gonna restart?

Also, this is the reason you should always connect your PC to a surge protector.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »

Autosaves with autobackup?

Aaaanyhow, if you want to restart, I would like female dwarf, a dedicated architect, called "Frost"

And if is is possible to get seccond, male dwarf, a dedicated hauler/alchemist, called "Jant", only dwarf  that likes elves or cats is acceptable.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »

If you restart, please do so in the DF Community Games & Stories subforum.
Pages: 1 [2]