Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i "un-channel" a tile?  (Read 14711 times)

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i "un-channel" a tile?
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:22:27 am »

I mis-channeled something, and want to fix it. How? if need be, i can just toast the process and reload from save (haven't really done all that much) but would like to avoid that if possible.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: How do i "un-channel" a tile?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:27:22 am »

Build a floor over the hole

b-C-f, IIRC
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:28:36 am »

Basically, you need to construct a wall there.

If you really need it to be a "natural" wall for some reason, then there are some of the memory hack utilities that will let you refill it with stone.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:50 am »

And you always can pour magma into the hole, and then add water for obsidian. Bonus: no hacking!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:26 am »

If he is having trouble with this much, I doubt he'll be ready for making obsidian casting magma and water pump towers, though...

Basically, RCIX, the wiki is your bestest friend.  You can learn darn near everything you need to know from it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:55 am »

What can i say, i picked the game up no more than a week ago.

Plus, i can't build a wall over my floor, which i need to do. I'll just reload.

I hope i'm not bothering you guys with my noobiness though :(, TBH i don't often know what i'm looking for and you guys are so helpful.
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:03:02 am »

If its a constructed floor, you can't add another construction on top of it (on the same z-level).

Remove the floor, build the wall :)

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:12:10 am »

...Which doesn't make sense to me :)

I'll report it as a possible feature/bug.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 02:23:18 am »

Whaaa? No, that's not a bug, just imagine, that building a wall over empty space is the same as building a floor and a wall on it.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:49 am »

The wall is a wall AND floor tile, think about it in the more literal sense of a wall- if you were to go lay a great big slab of granite along the borders of your land, would you lay down some tiling first? naw, the giant slab of granite IS the floor, and the wall. I dont know how much sense what im saying is making, but hopefully it helps.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:15:14 am »

I think the confusion is this: to fill a hole you accidentally dug in the floor you have to either build a wall IN the hole (i.e. down one z level), or build a floor ABOVE the hole (on the same z level). If you accidentally dug a hole in a wall then you have fill it with constructed wall. Dunno how you would fill in a hole above you. I think you can build roofs but I never have.

/edit Also you would (I think) have to remove the ramp in the hole before you could build a wall in it. This would trap your miner down there (always, or at least sometimes) unless there is another way out of the hole. So you are best off just building a floor over it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:17:20 am by billw »

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:37 am »

Wall = Solid obstruction on the same level + floor on z+1 level.
Floor = Floor on same level.

you can have a wall on z-1 and a floor on z0 as well. As pointed out, this prevents any further construction on the z0 square. Typically you would floor an area like this if you want to go about making a mosaic or upping the value of the room by flooring with high value materials.

As for fixing channels, it depends on how you went about and dug it in the first place. Some channels will be very inaccessable without further digging.

Apart from using magma and water to obsidian cap the channel you can...

Build a wall to fully block off the channel from inside the channel.
Build a floor or bridge on top of the channel to close it up from the outside.
Build a floodgate or door if you dont want to build a wall (forbid pets and dwarfs from using it)
Cave in some natural walls ontop of the channel (dangerous, and a tad destructive but it works)
Sacrifice as many elves as possible in the channel in the vain hope that their blood will clot and fill the channel.

For a hole above you, try building an up stairwell in the channel, then build a down stairwell on the level above. then cap it with a hatch cover and remove the constructions (remember, start at the top when removing constructions.)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:18:11 pm »

you can build a wall or floor on top of the hole.
People wanted you to do this with the floor.

you can build a wall or floor in the hole.
This is what people wanted you to do with a wall.
 but if it's just 1 tile thats not going to work.

Reloading is considered bad form though...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:00 am »

It helps to visualize how DF sees tiles and zlayers.

Basically, a tile looks like this:

-
X
-

The top dash is the membrane between the layer with the X and the layer above it. If that layer does not exist, then things like dwarves and water and what have you can move through it. Building ramps, staircases, or channeling it from above removes that membrane.

The X is the layer in question. You can clear it by channeling out the space, or just digging it out from the side. The game wants that X to be clear when you build constructions or buildings on it, such as floors, staircases, walls, workshops, beds, or whatever.

The bottom dash is the membrane between the layer with the X and the layer below it. It works much like the upper membrane, except that when you channel through it it will also remove the top membrane of the layer below. The reverse is not true. If you build a lot of up/down staircases, you will notice that at the bottom you can see what kind of stone is there, but the opposite is not true for the top. This is why.

Now, in your example, you want to build a wall in a space where the X and bottom layer have been removed. The kicker here is, when you are building a construction the game only checks to see whether the X is cleared and whether the tile is accessible from the side. It does NOT check whether there is a floor there. Building a wall there automatically closes the bottom and top membrane. Similarly, the reason you could not construct a floor and then construct a wall on top of it is because the floor is already taking up that X space, so far as constructions are concerned. If you just wanted to close the bottom membrane without building a construction on that tile (say, if you wanted to fill in a murky pool so you could build a paved road over it) then you could ramp down to that lower level and build a wall there. The wall on the lower level will close the the bottom membrane on the upper level, without using up the X space for constructions.