Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Actions on Embark  (Read 1927 times)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: First Actions on Embark
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:35 pm »

Miner - dig
Woodcutter - cut trees
Mason - build trade depot, build walls for the aboveground portion of the fort
Carpenter - make beds
Stonecrafter - make crafts
Farmer - plant and brew

Then I move all of the food, furniture, and dwarves into whatever has been dug out so far for protection
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:54:38 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:01:28 pm »

Build a cage. Shove every animal in the cage.

Build a statue. Make into garden and let animals come to you.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 07:21:42 pm »

1. Pause
2. Look around, for exposed magma/obsidian cap/ice/watersource/ travel blocks/heavily forested locations
3. Designate fort entrance
4. Unpause, dig.
5. designate temporary stockpile
6. Haul everything inside and destroy wagon
7. build bridge at entrance, depot inside
8. build lever and mechanisms, attach lever to bridge
9. dig farm complex and semi-permanent stockpile areas, and workshop areas and living areas
10. produce trade goods, food, and alcohol
11. chop wood for beds and barrels and bins
12. sit tight in preparation for siege

Because DigDeeper is incentive to dig faster and get underground really really fast. As more often than not there is a siege within the first year. And unless you turn trapavoid off, easy traps don't work on them....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:13 am »

Pause, curse that the wagon is far away from where you want to build, find a soil hill to hollow out for temporary living/storage, designate, designate some more, designate trees for chopping, set up temporary workshops made from wood (masons, carpenters, butcher, tanner, kennels if war dogs are needed immediately).  Unpause.  Wait.  Curse some more that you forgot to turn on mining for everyone.  Curse again when you realize a worshop isn't being built because nobody has that skill.  Pause when the hill is dug out.  Designate stockpiles for furniture, goods, weapons, ammo, food inside, stockpile for wood and stone outside.  Create farm plot(s) and kitchen/still/farmers workshop inside next to the plots.  Unpause, curse some more when workshop isn't built because nobody has plant processing enabled.  Start making 7 beds from the wood that's left, then queue up barrels on repeat.  Wonder why no trees have been cut, realize that mining cancels out woodcutting, curse.  Build wooden cage for animals, start digging again to get stone to make tables and chairs.  Hurriedly start placing beds when you see a dwarf sleeping on the floor.  Draft 2 or 3 no skill recruits to fend off some wild animals that are interrupting jobs.  Finally destroy the wagon and curse when you realize there were still things inside that don't have a stockpile, or their stockpile is too small.

And that's the easy, relaxing part over with.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:38 am »

Pause.
Look at unit list.
See carp.
Abandon.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 04:41:38 am »

Pause
Designate digging stuff
Designate woodcutting stuff
Build mason's workshop and carpenter's workshop
Build beds, tables, chairs and doors
Lock down fortress
Sit back and relax
Remember that I forgot to build a farm and watch all my dorfs starve to death.
If sad, apply kittens.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

Pause.
Look at unit list.
See carp.
Abandon.

I LOL'd
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »

Pause.
Look at unit list.
See carp.
Abandon.

I generally tend to do that but replace Carp with GCS.
I hate those web-spinning killing machines..

But if the location is otherwise good enough..

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »

I've only ever had one map with GCS that I've played long enough to find them. That was about 30 seconds in.

I forgot to switch off the hunting labour on my crossbow wielding ranger...

"An ambush! Curse them!"

He then ran away from the GCS into a web.

Esc - Abandon

To answer the OP;

It all depends on features and where I start, but generally, check civs, check units for nasty critters (and do so every few minutes, particularly in nasty surroundings until I'm holed up. I hate the first thing I know of a gargoyle being "Urist McPFY has been struck down"), dig directly down or across depending on whether I'm close to a slope/cliff bottom, or down if on the flats, and either wall off or otherwise secure the wagon area until the stocks are moved inside to a temporary storage.

At the same time build a mason's and a carpenter's workshop, build a few beds, tables and chairs and get started on the rest of the fort :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »

In no particular order:

* Pause the game and search for a good spot to strike the earth, usually a small dead-end valley that I can wall off and turn into a courtyard.

* Designate an entrance hall ending in space for a trade depot, a couple of big warehouses, a barracks and a dining hall. If I can build a well on the same z-level as my main entrance I'll designate the necessary tunnels and cistern at this point, but leave it inaccessible for the time being.

* Assign a war dog each to my woodworker and fisherdwarf and two hunting dogs to my hunter, and turn on mining for the other four.

* Place temporary carpenter and mason's workshops and a butcher's shop outside the main entrance and order the construction of seven beds and a single table and chair.

* Unpause, and go and make a cup of tea whilst they get underway. I keep the game speed capped at 40FPS so I can do this without (much) risk of catastrophe in my absence.

* Place the beds and designate my stockpiles. Place the table and chair in the dining room and designate it as a temporary office for whoever's supposed to be managing the work orders.

* Fill out a work order for enough tables and chairs for my starting seven, plus a couple of doors or anything else I need, then build a trade depot and place stockpiles.

* Go and make another cup of tea, then start designating workshops and living space to be dug out once everyone finishes unloading the wagon.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

none0000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:36 pm »

I usually dig right away and get everything underground away from the horrible sun as quickly as possible.

Of course I do like embarking in terrifying areas, so theres good reason for that.

One of my must amusing starts was having the wagon start right next to a bottomless pit full of skeletal batmen. Only one dwarf survived, who managed to dig straight downwards from where he started quick enough to hide from the batmen whilst they slaughtered his companions. He then had to sneak out and steal some booze and plump helmets in order to last long enough for some more immigrants to come. Very Fun start.
Pages: 1 [2]