Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: purified adamantine  (Read 1203 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
purified adamantine
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »

I have completed my new set of reactions to create ever more pure (and powerful) forms of adamantine.
new metals:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
new plants:
new reactions:
new stone:
so, here's the story:
"dwarves have been working with precious stones and minerals for longer than history can remember.  But,over time, one stone has come to be valued above all the rest, adamantine.  The dwarves have devoted entire cults and fortresses to unearthing new possibilities for this most precious of precious metals, and, at long last, they have perfected their art.  With a new plant discovered to grow high above ground near the mouthes of volcanoes the dwarves have found an extract which imbues the adamantine with unnatural power.  In the first stage they combine the adamantine with one diamond of every variety in a high heat only achievable with a 100% reactor.  This process causes the molecules in the adamantine to form such that each adamantine molecule is surrounded by 1 molecule of each of the 6 diamond types, thus protecting the adamantine from wear from most physical forces and allowing it to retain its protective properties. 

In the second stage of its purification, the adamantine is too volitile to be handled by normal means.  Fortunately it has a peculiar attractive property for giant cave spider silk and by simply coating the silk with crystal glass, to protect it from the reaction heat, the dwarves are able to creat a silk lattice which the adamantine can form to.

In the next tier the heat required is such that not even the glass can withstand.  So the dwarves pump in ash from burnt trees to coax the adamantine into shape.

And finally,  the adamantine so pure that its quantum particles are in uncontrollable dissaray, dwarven science can no longer explain the physics at work and the process is turned over to a high priest of armok to execute a ritual of death in the hopes that armok himself will come to bless the metal"

So, since I am somewhat new to modding, any tips?  It works fine but I'm wondering if there are any more efficient ways of doing what I did.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: purified adamantine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »

Heh. Collecting the different colours of Diamonds is very Sonic the Hedgehog. Not a bad thing of course.

One problem you might find is your moody metalworkers having an inexplicable desire to make their objects out of hydrogen and protons, because they have [DEEP] on them. You can alleviate this somewhat by having the reactions create/require metal blocks instead of bars.

I noticed the plants aren't restricted to magma areas. Did this not work?

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Seems good for adding that little extra to do after the HFS has been mined out. My only problem is that pitchblende is a uranium ore and is already in the game (obviously it is only treated as a regular stone as vanilla dwarves cannot extract it).

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:28 am »

Eew, you got your science in my fantasy!

That said, this is exactly the kind of labor-intensive material upgrading stuff that I throw together when I get bored, so power on, brother!

Just for convenience, you could make a little flowchart for how to get to everything. I had to read through the reactions a few times to figure out the intermediate steps.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.