Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get rid of excess magma.  (Read 3789 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of excess magma.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »

... Now I'm thinking of trying to make a cap over my magma pipe and my bottomless pit, building "greenhouses" over all the soil so I have trees still growing and murky pools and a little nature reserve, building a tower with a series of drawbridges to the endge of the map, and then pumpstacking magma out of the pipe until it goes above the top of the mountain.

Of course, my FPS would SCREAM for mercy...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »

Sounds like your doing a Mega project I did once. Pump out all of the magma into a channel, and live in the empty hole. Create a ramp to get to the upper world, and you have just created Dwarven-ish sparta.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 03:45:25 pm »

Do you have a river on your map? If so, you can pump water to cap off the pipe, dig it out, pump more water, dig more out, etc. Just reduce it layer by layer until you reach the magma vent on the bottom.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »

I eventually went with the drawbridge method. Also, the megaproject involves building a massive glass pyramid in a world populated by only dwarves, wolves, and mountain terrors.
I modded out all other animals, and tweaked the worldgen parameters to extinctify all civilizations.
Yes, this pyramid will be a tribute to the rise of the Dwarves as the one and only sentient race in the world.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:34 pm »

I recently needed to partially drain a magma pipe temporarily.
I built a cistern positioned directly above the magma pipe, pumped the magma up into the cistern, and then when I was done, I rigged a collapse to drop all the magma back into the pipe.
That sounds effective, but how do you prevent the pipe from refilling while you're working?
I didn't. I just drained enough of the pipe that I had enough time to finish the job before the pipe refilled to the level I was working on.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 03:20:57 pm »

I have a magma pipe, but I need to drain it
Blasphemy! How dare you insult Armok!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

Don't worry, that world was destroyed when my comp. got a virus and forced me to reformat the drive.
Pages: 1 [2]