Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: i have about 100000 stone i need to  (Read 1920 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i have about 100000 stone i need to
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »

Nice, and how do you make all the stones belong to the junk class?

I just made it all into flux. Without this distinction it throws useful ore into that, so turns like 5 iron ore in 1 iron bar if I'm not paying attention.

So I made all stone be flux. All metal ore is not flux, and thus safe from being eaten.

The reaction then turns 5 flux + fuel into 1 metal bar. Cheap metals are 5 rocks per bar. Gold is 10. Platinum and aluminum are 20, and adamantine is 100.

Yeah, it takes like 1 year to make 1 adamantine just from all of that gathering.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: i have about 100000 stone i need to
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

Actually, I just finished work on my own "Garbage Compactor" for my fortress, since I don't worry TOO much about losing some FPS or having dwarves do large amounts of hauling.

Just a Bismuth drawbridge (for the unusual color), a lever, some lockable doors, and a dump zone.

Less of a risk of smashing dwarves than using my main entrance's atom smasher.

Simplest, safest way of disposing of large amounts of junk aside from pitting in chasms or magma, and atom smashers are generally easier to locate wherever you want, without having to make some serious channeling and pumping the way magma requries.  (Not that magma isn't somewhat more dwarvenly than using engineering to break physics.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]