Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Windmill animation  (Read 3995 times)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill animation
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Horizontal windmills major advantage over vertical is that it can catch the wind going in any direction.

Its major disadvantage that it needs to be manually started each time you want it to catch the wind well. Vertical windmills are self starting.

I'm not actually sure horizontal windmills would work for the same reason that a water wheel doesn't work when fully submerged in water; the current hits both sides.

They do look cool though.

the right side of my crappy drawing has less drag than the left side, that's how horizontal windmills would work.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 03:19:01 pm »

The sails on a horizontal windmill like the one in AoM are slanted in such a way they will spin no matter what, as the wind is directed up or down from the sails, as opposed to being flat like a water wheel underwater, where it would cancel itself out.

Essentially it works a bit like a screw.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:04 pm »

However horizontal windmills are less efficient than vertical ones which is why they don't see a lot of use.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:30 am »

... much like how windmills are less efficient than water wheels, which is why they don't see a lot of use (except in some low-water conditions).

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:42 pm »

Currently the wind only comes from one direction, and the usual animation of the windmill reflects the wind direction.  I believe the animation in the beginning reflects the fact that should the time come when changing wind patterns can happen on your map, the windmill will use that initial rotation to reset in the new direction of the wind.

If someone nailed this earlier, sorry I missed it as I skimmed past most of the snarkiness.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E
Pages: 1 2 [3]