Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The most awesome siege  (Read 3480 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most awesome siege
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:07:51 pm »

Looking for more action, I've been intentionally pissing off not only the elves but the humans too.  Finally a human siege arrives -- three large groups of soldiers, lots of weaponmasters, mostly on horseback.  I pull all my guys inside and set up the army just behind the open gates.  I'm waiting to use my usual tactic I take with goblins, which is to let them try to storm the gates, where most of them get snatched up in cage traps, and then send out the champions to pick off the stragglers.

But the humans just wander around outside and don't come near the gates.  Eventually they wander out behind my tower, so I send my crossbow guys up there.  They squeeze off one or two potshots, and suddenly the whole human army breaks and runs off the map as fast as their laughably regular-length legs can carry them.

So what's the deal here?  Are humans aware of traps?  Or are they just total chickens?

This was exactly my experience with a human seige too.  It took a season and a half (and me buildling a tower with seige equipment to shoot at them in the menatime) for them to even move towards me, but then, they just huddled about the entrance until the marksdwarves in the tower got 3 or 4, then they broke and ran.  The stragglers were easy prey for my military dwarves, but overall, they didn't even get as far as the traps.

Very disappointing.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »

He appeared the two previous times, but didn't get his face ripped off because he was always in the back row. He's fleeing again. I won't let him escape this time!
I build up a very long switchback tunnel, sort of like what you'd see at an airport and put 1-tile retracting bridges at each end of the very long tunnel.

When the siege starts, I close my main base entrance and extend both of the bridges, opening up this alternate entrance. Usually I can trap the entire enemy siege in one of these before combat even starts, preventing any of them from escaping when they eventually rout.

At the fortress end of the trap there is a barracks 1 z-level higher with marksdwarves and lots of ammo behind fortifications, it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Here is a pic of a small one(the floodgates get raised after the siege to shorten all the hauling tasks when I harvest the loot):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »

That right there is just beautiful.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:48 pm »

I think so far my best siege has to be the one in which a champion hammerdwarf met a goblin siege outside. He started the fight by going into a duel with the leader of the goblin siege, one of the civ leaders. I swear both the goblins and the dwarves stopped about 10 spaces away from each other while the leader (a scourge user) and my hammerdwarf fought in the middle. The winner was decided when my hammerdwarf knocked the goblin's head over a nearby wall.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:19 am »

i will am surprised if the HammerDwarf havn't bleed to death or given in to pain

also , did you have pictures? , i never seen hostiles stand even 1 space away from each other and watch a fight

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 07:54:08 am »

Drafted an entire migrant wave the year before, and went stingy on the weapons, on a 2x2 embark. There is something amazing about 16 champion wrestlers tossing about/tearing apart an ~60 goblin seige sustaining only one injury (a broken lower left arm, if i remember correctly) that should be witnessed by everyone. Needless to say the haulers were busy for a good few weeks with all the pieces of goblin strewn about, i had to extend my refuse stockpile for all the limbs.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:48 pm »

Who else here has an awesome siege story to tell?
The defenses I tend to use make sieges rather boring :P

I tend to have the same problem, turning a 70 goblin siege into a pile of blood and death before they reach the 5th row of traps (out of 20-30ish). :(
I never even get to use my Ballistas
Derp.

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 08:00:14 pm »

I tend to have the same problem, turning a 70 goblin siege into a pile of blood and death before they reach the 5th row of traps (out of 20-30ish). :(

Yea, that always bores me, so instead I have a small 3 squad military, one with 7 dwarves:
~All 7 are wrestlers
~1 is Unarmed
~1 Swordsdwarf
~1 Axedwarf
~1 Hammerdwarf
~1 Macedwarf
~1 Speardwarf
~1 Marksdwarf/Hammerdwarf (for when he runs out of arrows)
~~These guys all have the absolute highest quality steel/adamandite gear I can get my hands on.
~And 2 squads of 3 Marksdwarves in 2 towers in front of my entrance with HUGE ammo stockpiles

In my experience they can take out just about anything that comes at me... but just in case I still have several rows of weapon traps containing 10 obsidian swords each.  ;)
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 05:52:09 am »

Yea, that always bores me, so instead I have a small 3 squad military, one with 7 dwarves:
~All 7 are wrestlers
~1 is Unarmed
~1 Swordsdwarf
~1 Axedwarf
~1 Hammerdwarf
~1 Macedwarf
~1 Speardwarf
~1 Marksdwarf/Hammerdwarf (for when he runs out of arrows)
~~These guys all have the absolute highest quality steel/adamandite gear I can get my hands on.
~And 2 squads of 3 Marksdwarves in 2 towers in front of my entrance with HUGE ammo stockpiles

In my experience they can take out just about anything that comes at me... but just in case I still have several rows of weapon traps containing 10 obsidian swords each.  ;)
I usually start building my defenses early game, I don't replace them I just add more. Entrance hallway filled with traps, fortifications around them so my marksdwarves can shoot bolts at invaders, then there's a retracting bridge that forces the invading force to move down a deadlier path filled with weapon traps and 3 ballistas at the end.
I never recruit melee soldiers because I feel they have greater lethal risk than the marksdwarves that fire safely from behind a double row of fortifications.
Derp.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 04:09:15 pm »

Your link is screwy.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35:56 pm »

It comes as no surprise to me that my bloodiest siege was infact, my funnest, in both senses of the word.

I was playing with relentless assault, in a nice area with a volcano, flux, sand brook etc, and as such had been doing rather well on trade, which meant that the my fort began to be noticed. There are many races that siege you in relentless assault, but the most persistent for me where the lizard men.

Lizard men are pretty much like goblins, but come in larger numbers, use mostly copper weaponry, and are better at unarmed fighting.

In my first year a token force of 30 or so where defeated by my well trained military, and a few caged in traps so i could throw them into my death pit. The next year, however, was the really FUN siege.

I didn't use traps in this fortress (apart from a few cage traps) so the whole defense pretty much rested on my champions and marks dwarfs. I had a fortress population of about 50 this time, with a squad of 5 marks dwarfs, and about 7 champs.

The lizard men returned in force this time, over 70 of them, with a dedicated squad of spear lizards and crossbow lizards, lead by local leaders. This wasn't going to turn out well. I stationed my inside the fortifications, and hope for the best.

It went well at first, a squad of sword lizards had been quicker than the rest and was closer than the others, and took enough casualties from our crossbows to flee, however the rest of the squads where bunched close together, and advancing fast. The crossbow lizards where in front, but thankfully the fortifications where limiting their effectiveness, or so i thought...

The local leader shot a bolt through my fortification, hitting a champion in the heart and both lungs, then he shot another which hit one of my marksdwarves in the right leg. The other squads moved forward as well, unfazed by any bolts being shot at them.

They quickly took the doors and began fighting with my outnumbered champions, blood and viscera splattering the walls. Even the dwarf with pierced lungs and heart managed a kill before he dropped dead. Soon after, another champion was killed by the sword master, and i decided that for there to be any hope of surviving this siege, i would have to retreat and try and regroup my few forces,  recruit a few civilians etc.

I ordered my dwarves to fall back, and they obeyed, except for the one marksdwarf who had been injured in the fight, who refused to move. What he did during the battle pretty much saved the fortress. He stayed at his post, shooting the crossbow master and another dead, before being ganged upon by lizards. In the time they took to kill him, my forces where able to escape and begin to regroup.

The lizards moved down a z level, and advanced down the hallway, killing any civilians they saw. Even then, the few defenders left refused to give up, a marksdwarf and a female wrestler, with her baby still in her arms, turned back and began shooting and attacking the advancing lizards. Both where quickly overcome and killed, the females baby being knocked several tiles away and splattering against a wall.

However, these displays on heroism had their effects, and the lizards for whatever reason, decided to retreat.

At the end of it, my military was pretty much annihilated, and my fortress succumbed to tantrum spirals.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.
Pages: 1 [2]