Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It burns!  (Read 1888 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It burns!
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:47:37 am »

Hi there, me again. This time I'm trying to adventure as a horrific cave fiend that is always on fire. I copied [FIXED_TEMP:25000] and all its [NO-BLABLAWHOCAAARES] tokens from those hilarious fire jugglers and added that to my beloved monstrosity to prevent its own fire from devouring itself..

Alas!

We all burned to death quite quickly. An upset!

And so I come here, to you genius peoples, with this question. Is there any token or series of tokens that enables you to not-die from burnination? If not, how is it that those ha-ha-fire tossers don't arrive to the party black and charred?

EDIT: Until I find a solution, I shall continue fiddling with it. Either I'll solve it or discover its futility, or neither and be flabergasted with your answers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:51:44 am by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It burns!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:00:44 am »

Could you post the exact code for the creature for us? It would make things easier.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:08 am »

Do they use clothing? If they are burning hot, they might ignite their clothing and incinerate themselves that way.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:28 am »

IGNITE_POINT, MELTING_POINT, HEATDAM_POINT, HOMEOTHERM. These four will have an effect on the creature burninating itself to death. Clothing is a non-issue.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:30 am »

The creature's info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's a little overpowered, but eh.

Also I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed. It's burns everything around it now without burning up itself or giving me the "You are on fire!" message.
I don't have HOMEOTHERM or MELTING POINT. I was modeling its fire usage on flaming jokers.

If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:56:26 am »

Remove STANDARD_FLESH then. Or don't. Either way, add a high MELTING_POINT, and a HOMEOTHERM equal to your FIXED_TEMP, for good measure.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

I'll add those. Thanks, guy.

EDIT: On further inspection, I've discovered that anything they hold is incinerated. So much for weapon users. That's not really important, I just thought it was neat.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:38:03 pm by Organum »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

Yeah. You could melt HFS weapons with that temperature. I'd suggest that you try and get a job smelting bauxite into Aluminium, but I can't imagine what they'd pay you with. Do artifacts melt? If not, you could try raiding an old fort for a Pig Iron Blowpipe, or a Rope Reed Maul or the sort of stupid weapons my dwarves seem to love making.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:39:27 pm »

You can create special metals for them to use in equipment, as 25000 temperature is far higher than the boiling point of iron so simply creating super-high melting point metals would work.

For general clothing create some creatures they will use for leather and add the [LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:x], [LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:x][BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:x] tags and make x greater than 25000. The bone tag is more useful for fortress mode, as civilisations barely use bones for anything on their own.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 06:09:49 pm »

Hmm, alright. Is it possible the super high boiling point might make it freeze? I've heard of that happening.

I'm playing adventure mode with one right now and so far I've killed 130 elves while unarmed. The only bit I'm missing is an eye. I started off with no skills and have achieved great wrestling, "strong", and "extremely agile".

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:52:12 pm »

Hmm, alright. Is it possible the super high boiling point might make it freeze? I've heard of that happening.
That only happens when you try the reverse, actually.  Super low boiling point results in a cloud of gas at the temperature of the material's boiling point.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

If you set the ignition temperature below the HEATDAM point, will you create an ever-burning item/creature?  Has anyone tested this?

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »

If you set the ignition temperature below the HEATDAM point, will you create an ever-burning item/creature?  Has anyone tested this?

I think someone made a little mod that turned your cats into thermal nuclear explosions... look it up on the wiki... Because I'm not 100% on this one...

But I was told it was a source of Fun
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:24 pm »

Yeah, I was actually there for that.  It also has nothing to do with what I just mentioned.

EDIT:  Actually, reading the wiki article does briefly mentions flaming cats, and then expresses the tags I was thinking about.  However, it's not much to go on, and doesn't seem to be a verified comment.  Also, I can't remember it being brought up in the original thread.