Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay stuff  (Read 2385 times)

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay stuff
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:52:53 pm »

Hey all out there in DF land.

I have a quick question... is there a way to make clay like sand; able to be turned into glass, and made into crafts and junk? or is it impossible?

Any help is welcome.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »

It is possible to make clay able to be collected like sand and then turned into every glass item that sand is.

I'm going to assume that you're not just asking whether it's possible ( ;)) and that you also want to know how to do such a thing. To do this, you have to open matgloss_stone_soil and add [SOIL_SAND] to clay's entry, and any other soil you want to be able to use for glassmaking. Simple.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »

Will it be called something like Clay glass or like could it be called something like Terracotta or something like that?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »

No; glass is hardcoded, and there's no ceramics ingame and no possibility to make ceramics. Glass made from clay or loam or peat or anything else is identical in every way to glass made from sand.

It's even impossible to make a custom smelter reaction to make clay from clay. The only way to get "clay" materials is to use the [SOIL_SAND] method, which gives you bags of clay, but smelter reactions cannot use items in containers like bags of powder. So, you're out of luck as far as things go.

Terracotta, stoneware, and porcelain are much-desired, and so are probably going to be put into a release sometime soonish, but not the next release.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »

Thanks anyway NecroRebel.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »

You could add a type of stone to to the various lands called "Clay Deposit" which you could mine out and smelt into clay bars or blocks.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:25 pm »

Here have some pottery stuff

Material
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reactions

Reaction_Class

I should point out that this is a horrible hack and goes about things the wrong way (pottery you mold the items and then fire them, dwarves fire it and then carve it into the shapes they want). I should also point out that while real world pottery would use the actual clays and not rocks formed from the clays you can't get the clay to go into bags/barrels/whatever, so I'm stuck using the clay rocks. I am not an expert on this but it is as close as I could get it in the game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:57:56 pm by sunshaker »

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:43 am »

Here have some pottery stuff

Material

Reactions

Reaction_Class

I should point out that this is a horrible hack and goes about things the wrong way (pottery you mold the items and then fire them, dwarves fire it and then carve it into the shapes they want). I should also point out that while real world pottery would use the actual clays and not rocks formed from the clays you can't get the clay to go into bags/barrels/whatever, so I'm stuck using the clay rocks. I am not an expert on this but it is as close as I could get it in the game.

Thanks, Sunshaker, at lest this is a start. I really hope they include pottery in DF2010...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:36 am »

No problem. I don't think it will be in DF2010, but it will be easier to mod in/use (custom workshop, new material templates and the like).

I was thinking of making glazes as well (actually had the reactions and everything) but at the time I thought maybe it was adding to much clutter and bloat and complications.