Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Project: Atrocity  (Read 3653 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Atrocity
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:51 pm »

I don't think magma actually lights things on fire unless they're being worn.  I've tried.  It just pushed some leather clothing around a bit.

Anyway.  The following is a by no means comprehensive list of the things I've seen so far on these forums that could qualify for Project Atrocity:

-Elven torture camp (already mentioned)
-Death pit (freezing map; goblin captives were stripped of clothing and dumped in a pit to freeze in the open air)
-Slow, painful death traps (dozens of traps of nothing but whips)
-Living entombment
-Using live prisoners as target practice
-Large-scale merperson butchering operations

Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 03:51:53 pm »

Well, I don't know about leather or anything else, but I assure you, it does light wood on fire. Not trees, but logs on the ground it does, anyway.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »

Anyway.  The following is a by no means comprehensive list of the things I've seen so far on these forums that could qualify for Project Atrocity:

-Using live prisoners as target practice

Wait, that counts as an atrocity, now?  What else am I supposed to do with goblin prisoners? 

Well, I guess theoretically there's releasing them... but for no ransom or other means of extracting value from them or assurance that they wouldn't attack again?  That's just silly.

... although maybe releasing leaders so that they would be capable of attacking again could be a good idea.   That way, I would have actual trained goblin warriors for my champions to melee into with the potential to actually take damage for once.

Still, the unnamed, genned-on-the-spot grunts are still getting execution in whatever way gives me the most XP for lack of any other way to profit upon them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:38 pm »

I refuse to alter the mechanics of Dwarf Fortress in the init.txt file in any way, unless completely necessary. One such example of this is the entry in it for the amount of babies you can have in the fortress. As a consequence, most of my fortresses are bogged down by endless births eventually, leading to much frustration.

In a fit of rage, I realized that when my miners were knocked into the river, the adults lasted significantly longer than the children clinging to them. As such, I realized that a rudimentary drowning chambers would allow me to vent out my frustrations on entire generations of the little sacks of flesh without harming my adult dwarven population much.

Another more tame project was to cut down every tree on the entire map. This was in response to an elven diplomat expressing displeasure about what I did with my logs. I then decorated the supply wagon entrance to the trade depot with wood.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »

I refuse to alter the mechanics of Dwarf Fortress in the init.txt file in any way, unless completely necessary. One such example of this is the entry in it for the amount of babies you can have in the fortress. As a consequence, most of my fortresses are bogged down by endless births eventually, leading to much frustration.

... so why don't you mod the init.txt file?  It's there for a reason...

I just consider some of the things, like changing the limit to immigration, to just be something like an immigrations and customs official that I just don't have access to inside the game because Toady hasn't gotten around to implimenting whatever feature is going to perform that function in the future.

Likewise, dwarves giving birth every single year from age 12 until they die, potentially as old as 180 or so years of age, for a total of 168 births, not even counting twins, is just plain absurd.  Surely, Toady will eventually give us something that will function as "family planning" at some point, but if you just try to find ways to kill the children as soon as they pop out of your girl-dwarf spore-sacs, you might as well enforce "condoms" by changing the init file.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
... so why don't you mod the init.txt file?  It's there for a reason...
[/quote

Mostly because that was the rare fort that I hadn't grown bored of. Keeping it going meant finding things to do. To me, finding creative ways to make the game playable without changing that part of the init just seemed like another challenge.

In general though, I rarely touch it. I might want to get out of that habit and try to make a few forts with invaders disabled.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 11:20:29 pm »

A really simple way to cause torture, though not maximum torture, is the repeating entrance bridge. I made it to drive off migrants easily, and it's hilarious. You just set the entrance bridge to be repeatedly switched on and off and half the migrants fall down ten z-levels and gib on the floor. Plus, it's amusing watching some migrants get catapulted out of the fortress when the bridge goes up, try to run back in when the bridge goes down, and get catapulted again.
Pages: 1 2 [3]