Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temporary SuperDwarfs = dwarves interrupting one another  (Read 1193 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Temporary SuperDwarfs = dwarves interrupting one another
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:47 pm »

Well, I used Dwarf Companion to give all 25 of my Dwarves some nice stats to finally clear out all the stupid stone in the fort.

Someone, one Dwarf, Rithus -- Soldier8 Became briefly marked as "skeletal."

He freaked a few dwarves out and I quickly changed him back. Now I have Dwarves who were never marked skeletal and do not show up as undead in the units list interrupting one another?

Two questions:

1.) Is there an easier way to get rid of all these many tens of thousands of stones?

2.) How do I make this "interrupting" thing go away?

Thanks
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary SuperDwarfs = dwarves interrupting one another
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

This happens when you make a creature belonging to a civilization undead via Dwarf Companion.

The zombified dwarf (or whatever) will start targeting nearby dwarves, making him an enemy of the civilization and thus targetable by other dwarves. Being an enemy of the civilization does not go away when you un-undead the dwarf.

Anyway, nearby dwarves will start attacking the skeleton. Since the skeleton is still technically part of the civilization, the attacking dwarves will also be made an enemy of the civilization. And so on and so forth. It doesn't take long before all the dwarves are trying to kill each other or run away from each other.

As for the stones, you don't actually have to get rid of them, but if you absolutely can't stand looking at them for some reason, you can mass-designate them to be hidden via the designations menu (d-b-h). If that doesn't stop them from bothering you, there's a few solutions:

1) Mass-dump them into a small space by your masonries. Dwarf Companion can make this faster by making your dwarves perfectly agile; it won't turn them into skeletons if you don't accidentally tell it to.
2) Mass-dump them into a volcano or chasm. This actually gets rid of the stone, but then you can't use it.
3) Build a bunch of catapults in the areas with the offending stone.
4) Flood your fort with magma.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:14:52 pm »

Or give the stones [BOILING_POINT:10020] and they'll evaporate, along with anything made of them (that is not part of a building or construction). Your dwarves may feel a slight chill, but it wont hurt them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:17:34 pm »

Anyway, nearby dwarves will start attacking the skeleton. Since the skeleton is still technically part of the civilization, the attacking dwarves will also be made an enemy of the civilization. And so on and so forth. It doesn't take long before all the dwarves are trying to kill each other or run away from each other.

Crap....

Any way to salvage this fort and those characters?

Strange thing is even my governor (mayor/legendary armorsmith) is tripping people out. She was never undead.

No violence has occurred yet at all. I checked the civ hex codes, they all read 84, so they are the same....

Or give the stones [BOILING_POINT:10020] and they'll evaporate, along with anything made of them (that is not part of a building or construction). Your dwarves may feel a slight chill, but it wont hurt them.

Will have to try this. It's not an cosmetic issue. 2,000,000 stones kills my FPS.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:24:01 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

Schist does not have it's own, metalgloss - stone mineral entry.

Should I create one to give it a boiling point or can I use the layers entry?

Please don't quote me.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

The matgloss_stone_layer entry IS Schist. It's there because it's a layer. Making a new one called Schist would be a duplicate, which is very bad.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »

The matgloss_stone_layer entry IS Schist. It's there because it's a layer. Making a new one called Schist would be a duplicate, which is very bad.

I see. So Basically I add:
[BOILING_POINT:10020]

to the layer metalgloss for Schist? I was thinking it was something more complex, because I did that and there are still little schist stones where I mine.

I turned Temp on in Init.

Should I gen a new world?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:25:41 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:14 pm »

Any way to salvage this fort and those characters?

Yeah. Isolate any still-sane dwarves far away from the rocks and then set the boiling point to 0 instead. It'll engulf anything near the Schist stones in gas that's several hundred degrees below absolute zero, killing the crazies instantly. That or some other accident. If there are no sane dwarves left, let them all die, and reclaim.

I see. So Basically I add:
[BOILING_POINT:10020]

to the layer metalgloss for Schist? I was thinking it was something more complex, because I did that and there are still little schist stones where I mine.
Hmm. Perhaps it ought to be a little lower. Try 10000. That's zero degrees celsius, so wrap up warm, but it won't kill anything. I can't recall what "room temperature" is, so I just estimated. The thing is, go too low, and you'll flash freeze your dwarves. It won't need a regen, but maybe you'll need to delete the contents of Data==>Objects.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:50 pm »

Alternatively, you can set an ignite point of say 10500, and a fixed temp of the same, and the stone will self-ignite and burn like coal. I'm not sure how long it goes for, though...
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10:07 pm »

Yeah. Isolate any still-sane dwarves far away from the rocks and then set the boiling point to 0 instead. It'll engulf anything near the Schist stones in gas that's several hundred degrees below absolute zero, killing the crazies instantly. That or some other accident. If there are no sane dwarves left, let them all die, and reclaim.

Seeing as that includes my governor/legendary armorsmith, this means I'm screwed. Restart it is. Any way to keep this from happening again?

Perhaps it ought to be a little lower.

10001 works.

maybe you'll need to delete the contents of Data==>Objects

Huh?

Please don't quote me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 11:13:50 pm »

I always use 10000 as the boiling temp. I've never had any problems with long term exposure, even then, those that face long term exposure are usually the miners.

I play in temperate to tropical scorching desert temps, so it probably warms up quickly.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:39:39 am »

maybe you'll need to delete the contents of Data==>Objects

Huh?

There's a folder called Data within the Dwarf Fortress folder. Within it is another folder called Objects. Thats full of information from the raws converted into files that the game can read. Sometimes, it's old crusty information that is at odds with what is in your raws, causing problems. So close down DF, delete every file within Objects, and then start the game up again. It'll load the new raw values. You don't ALWAYS have to do this, but I can never remember when you need to do it, so I just do it every time.

There's an Objects folder within the Raw folder as well, but they're easy to tell apart because the raws are all txt files, wheras the data files are some bizarre set-up that I don't recognise.