Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifacts  (Read 875 times)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifacts
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:52:41 pm »

Would it be possible to use the book system to have people in world gen create artifact weapons?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:05 am »

Not by modding, but I suspect the underlying system is the groundwork for that being implemented on a Toady One level before this release arc is through.
(That's not to say that won't take another two years though XD)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:06 am »

are you positive? looking at the raws, it appears that secrets refer to books as objects. i have no experience modding, but it looks like it would be as simple as replacing a file with an object of a weapon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:01 am »

I would assume you're looking at MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE, which requests two arguments -- a txt file containing a list of prefixes, and a txt file containing a list of nouns.
It does have "objects" and "book" in there, but that's quite obviously a file path, not the BOOK item token that would need to be being referred to in order for such a change to be possible.

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:50 am »

Yes, however, it creates a book, a physical object within the game that can be picked up and carried. how is this accomplished?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:26:21 am »

Yes, however, it creates a book, a physical object within the game that can be picked up and carried. how is this accomplished?

Although I am not positive, I believe that the artifacts created are currently hard coded to be books.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:26:53 am »

By being all hard-coded and stuff.
That's all there is to it.

I know for a fact it's in the future plans, but without editing the executable itself it is not possible right now.

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:41 am »

That really sucks...

I have an idea for a mod based on ASOIAF, but I want to be able to have Valyrian steel weapons made in world gen and then not able to be made during actual play.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:05 am »

That you could do by genning a world with the reaction in it, and then taking the reaction out of the raws once the world is genned.

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:13 am »

I want it to be a very rare thing though. that sounds like it would make it to where there are lots and lots of weapons of that type lying around.