Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort too dwarvenly for wood?  (Read 731 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
My fort too dwarvenly for wood?
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:45:21 am »

My dwarves have apparently stopped hauling wood.

I have, looking at my stocks and the barren, clear-cut fields of my embark zone, 133 logs in my fortress.

I also have 0 in a stockpile, as they are all outside, lying where they were felled.

My stockpile near my carpentry workshops accept wood and only wood, and are empty.

I have about 10 idlers, many of which have wood hauling enabled (some are children or nobles), INCLUDING the woodcutters (who don't need to chop more wood, they just need to haul it back in).

Yet, my carpenters have to march all the way out of the fortress, into the open exposed fields to drag back each individual log.

My carpenters are now complaining of "a lack of work" because I'm not letting them go commit tree genocide (suck it, elves!) for what appears to be the pure sport of chopping down trees, because they obviously aren't interested in the whole "help the fortress survive" aspect of this.

Anyone have a clue what's going wrong, here?  I know they're allowed outside (I mean, they were just chopping those trees down, they just adamantly refuse to take them back to the fortress).  If I can't figure this out, "plan B" is saying "screw it!" and making all my barrels out of iron from now on, but I'd like to know what's going on, here.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: My fort too dwarvenly for wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:50:21 am »

Check your standing (o)rders menu and make sure that wood hauling is enabled.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: My fort too dwarvenly for wood?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:54:59 am »

Well, what do you know?  I completely forgot that existed, what with my thinking that there was no reason to ever press that button.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare