Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wild animal respawn  (Read 698 times)

Redblackj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wild animal respawn
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:04:45 pm »

Does anyone know the conditions that a map generates new wild animals? I haven't seen any since two whole years. I wonder if this is because i have lot of tame animals, or because I have an endless deceased wild animals list. Any suggestions or ideas about how i' ll get wild-life back? Cause I miss it...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wild animal respawn
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »

I've had maps were it seems I've hunted animals to death. As a result I'm less aggressive with hunting.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

No, they will not in the current version.

There are only a finite number of animals that you can hunt or fish. Once they're all dead, they're gone forever.

The next release fixes this problem, so hunting and fishing will be much more useful in the long run.

Redblackj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »

Ty vm guys.
It's good to know, even the bad news ;)
thanks again

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »

Yep. Once, without knowing fishing and hunting is finite, I tried to play a fortress without farming. Results: all dead...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

Wild animals will breed, but only if you can manage to keep them on your map long enough to become pregnant and give birth.  Catch them in cages, then release them in an enclosed space, and you can build up a breeding population.  Release some of them periodically into an enclosed hunting reserve and you can keep your hunters busy forever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »

The same can apply to any goblins or similar that you capture, minus the breeding.

And now to hunt the deadliest game of all.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"