Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I finally survived the first wave of orcs  (Read 1458 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
I finally survived the first wave of orcs
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:56 pm »

Embarked with 4 armor/shield users, an armor smith, a weapon smith, and a grower. I brought an anvil, a pittance of booze, just enough seeds to get started, no food, 2 dogs, 40 cassiterite, and copper nuggets.

Started by forging a bronze axe and a pick with the 3 wagon wood. Dug a farm, started the magma forge and smelter, and got the 4 recruits started with wrestling. I spent the next 2 seasons smelting bronze and making full suits of plate over chain armor. Then tragedy; before she finished an imp popped out of the magma channel, luckily the first fireball missed. The second fireball caused several injuries but then the wrestling squad showed up. Strangely, in about half a season she got up out of bed like nothing happened, all the injuries healed. Fastest I've ever seen a dwarf recover, ever. She was then able to finish the full suits of armor. The grower was struggling to keep us fed and inebriated during all this but got the job done. The elves came and I traded them a pittance of stone crafts for a little food, they didn't have much. When the recruits were legendary wrestlers I forged some bronze axes and they started training with those. Finally I mined out a nice stairway and narrow corridor bottleneck to ambush the orcs in the fortress and chained the 2 war dogs nearby.

Then at the start of winter the orcs came, right on schedule. There was a mauler, 7 carves, and 8 wrestlers. I ordered everyone inside and set the ambush. The poor bastards never saw it coming. The ambush room was covered in body parts and armor, the stairwell was soaked in blood. They never even made it to the dogs. There were no injuries. One dwarf had single-handedly massacred 10 of them without breaking a sweat and the other 3 killed the rest.

2 minutes later a training accident destroyed someones eye, ear, neck, and brain. He quickly suffocated to death in bed. Oh well.

I always wondered how you guys handled the first wave of orcs without secluding the fortress or stacking inaccessible crossbow dwarfs. Usually the sweep through my fortress like they're clearing it with mp5's. I feel like I've accomplished something. Next on my list is controlled forest fires - for science.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: I finally survived the first wave of orcs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:23 pm »

Thats pretty awesome.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:04 pm »

Battling them in melee in the first season is impossible unless you bring multiple military dwarves like you did. (Nice job by the way, sounds very well planned!) I usually just bring a proficient marksdwarf, draft everyone else too, and shoot them with bone and wood bolts from 1z level up. Once I had snipers come in the first season. That ruined my plan.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:36 pm »

Haven't seen orc snipers yet. That would still be the correct tactic though, hit them after they come down the stairs. Now if I could only keep them from killing each other... The 2 forts I have going (orc and regular) have had more and the most severe training accidents I've ever had.

But well planned? lol. I had a fort where I planned on making the tools on site like this one. So it turns out you can't make bronze with just tin and cassiterite. Remember kids, cassiterite is ore of tin and Tetrahedrite is ore of copper... That fort ate lots of prickle berries and slept in the rain for six months to bring you this "well planned" orc attempt. I had to trade leather crafts and booze from the only barrel I had for a pick so that I could start mining. Then I traded rock crafts to the elves for wood so I could burn it and forge an axe. Now THAT was a fun fort.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:44:01 pm »

I find that a drawbridge hooked to a lever is all you need to repel an invasion, designate the order the hit R for repeat.
You now have a bunch of orcs running over a bridge and falling into a disasterous hole of epic heights.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:45:35 am »

I find that a drawbridge hooked to a lever is all you need to repel an invasion, designate the order the hit R for repeat.
You now have a bunch of orcs running over a bridge and falling into a disasterous hole of epic heights.
That's what many people consider 'lame'
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:37 am »

Agreed. Sealing yourself off is the easy way to do deal with it. Fighting the Orc's is admirable.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:09 am »

I brought an anvil, a pittance of booze, just enough seeds to get started, no food, 2 dogs, 40 cassiterite, and copper nuggets.

No Seeds
No Food
One Anvil
Booze
Dogs
Ore
Copper

FINAL DESTINATION

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:19:46 pm »

For me orcs didn't come until a few years in, idk what orc mod you are using... Anyway, my marksdwarves ended up slaughtering them with hundreds of wooden bolts since I forgot to make iron ones... I only checked one Orc and he had been hit with no less than 22 bolts... It was an amazing sight :P
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »

The Orc mods I've seen all have Progression 2 as their trigger which in his case, with the wealth from the creation of all those suits of armor, was applicable in the first Winter. Whenever I download a fresh copy of any mod with Orcs in them I always go back into the raws and set their Progression to 4. This allows you a few seasons, maybe even a few years, of goblins before you have to deal with the other ones.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:58 pm »

Agreed. Sealing yourself off is the easy way to do deal with it. Fighting the Orc's is admirable.
That's not sealing yourself off though, that's inviting the orcs into a pre-made deathtrap*. Sealing yourself off isn't far behind, but in that case you can't go outside or receive traders for a couple of seasons.

*I'm currently working on a water-powered repeating spike hallway. Same effect as the bridge on the orcs themselves (fingers crossed), but takes more work than an atom-smasher.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.