Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves need goblin AI  (Read 570 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves need goblin AI
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Goblin bowmen stay in a tight group and mow down everything in range. I almost never see two marksdwarves standing next to each other. It almost can't be made to happen that a dwarf will support another in combat. There needs to be a hotkey that has dwarves go to their stations on pain of death no matter what. That extra meal or nap can't help them if the fortress falls. Force concentration is the very most important of military concepts. 2 guys together can kill 50 guys one a time. It's that crucial, and my dwarves can't function against an enemy who stays together.

Traps are too effective, and armed dwarves are completely ineffective. I'd like to see it possible for dwarves to defend the fort against 5 goblin bowmen without losing 20 dwarves plus whatever caravan is in the area.

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves need goblin AI
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

Urist:  Give them nothing, but take from them... EVERYTHING!!!!  This...  Is... BODICEBLOSSOMED!!!!!!

Sorry, I have to make a 300 reference every time there is a mention of fighting off greater numbers, and a Lovecraft reference every time an ocean is mentioned.

Shoes...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>and a Lovecraft reference every time an ocean is mentioned.</STRONG>

I still need to buy the Very Scary Solstice CD...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

quote:

Sorry, I have to make a 300 reference every time there is a mention of fighting off greater numbers, and a Lovecraft reference every time an ocean is mentioned.

Yeah but let's say those 300 are invaded not by Xerxes millions, but by 6 pimplefaced goblin bowmen, and all 300 are slaughtered. That's what I'm talking about.

:o

My latest forts:

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 01:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cephalo:
<STRONG>Goblin bowmen stay in a tight group and mow down everything in range. I almost never see two marksdwarves standing next to each other. It almost can't be made to happen that a dwarf will support another in combat. There needs to be a hotkey that has dwarves go to their stations on pain of death no matter what. That extra meal or nap can't help them if the fortress falls. Force concentration is the very most important of military concepts. 2 guys together can kill 50 guys one a time. It's that crucial, and my dwarves can't function against an enemy who stays together.

Traps are too effective, and armed dwarves are completely ineffective. I'd like to see it possible for dwarves to defend the fort against 5 goblin bowmen without losing 20 dwarves plus whatever caravan is in the area.</STRONG>

I can do this. With a single soldier. Armed dwarves are not ineffective.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:59:00 am »

I do agree that a toggleable need button would be interesting. You know, in the options menu.

"Soldiers leave station whenever hunger or thirst occurs."
"Soldiers leave station only after becoming dehydrated or starving."
"Soldiers will stay at station until unassigned or death."

As well as

"Marksdwarves will return to base for ammo"
"Marksdwarves will enter melee combat" toggleable option.

Or how about

"Marksdwarves will train archery"
"Marksdwarves will practice melee crossbow combat"

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:20:00 am »

Force concentration is easy across an indoor / outdoor interface.

I don't disagree with you about your troops staying in formation, though.  It would let us meet the enemy in the field instead of just bunching up archers at the front gate.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

First time i got a bowmen squad knocking at my door I had 20 War/Hunt Dogs(4:1 ratio) + 4 noob wrestlers + 2 normal marksdwarves, all the dogs were bound to the group captain. And, since i took the time and built walls around my settlement, i set up an ambush for an ambush      :D

[edit]
Ah, yes, my casualties: 1 wounded and 2 killes war dogs    :cool:

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Digger ]

urrently digging fortress #9.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

Dwarves ARE very effective if well trained. A single champion completely massacrated a goblin ambush that consisted by FIVE goblin bowmen, four axe goblins, a goblin master leasher and a baby snatcher (that was how he got ambushed, running after his own son). It was so freakin heroic. He died in combat, but, he was so epic. I mean, he exploded the snatcher´s body, sent the rest of the goblins flying to meet a tree and left only one alive but leaking guts.

I built a glass tower as a memorial for him.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>Force concentration is easy across an indoor / outdoor interface.
</STRONG>

This won't save your caravans unfortunately, which seem to spawn at the same time and in the same place as the ambush parties.

I know that if you train up some legendary everything warrior he can singlehandedly put a dent in any invasion before he dies surrounded and alone, but even green troops could put up a good fight if they would simply understand the overriding importance of staying together.

I like the idea of a mass of war dogs that don't need to eat and sleep, but if a dog can do it, why not dwarves?

My latest forts:

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

Power of the [TAGS].
If you master [TAGS], you can change the world.

I think it's because of AI problems. If animals had to feed themselves, the game would have to handle the whole alimentary chain. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be in at some point.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

I have my depot elevated and isolated with drawbridges and trapped ladders.  Once I pull the lever my guests' wagons are safe.  The guards will still charge down the ladders to meet the oncoming enemy, but by that time the enemy will have already hit the outlying traps and been engaged by my own forces.

So far my new depot defense system has been tested by 1 ambush and come through with zero casualties.  We'll see what happens in a siege.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas