Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactions gone horribly wrong  (Read 497 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Reactions gone horribly wrong
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:25:09 am »

I just discovered this, and it was most unpleasant.
While in the midst of testing my extensive and boggling modding, I noticed that my Stone list was all askew. Naturally, I set about fixing it. All the ores first, place Horn Silver with Native Silver, coals after that, and so on. All very neat.

Only much later when I was starting to get my smelters up did I notice strange things. Brimstone makes Chromium? Silver makes Copper? Kimberlite makes Electrum?

Confused, I restarted DF, having wiped the data/Objects. No change.

Eventually it twigged that there was a pattern. The stones listed in the Economic Stones panel were in the old, mixed-up order, but the reactions for them (not the ores) were not. So, I painstakingly re-jumbled my stones according to the displayed order.

And now it works! Yay!

What I learned was that changing the order of the stones (and potentially metals, plants, etc)  will mess up reactions, as it remembers the order that it was in. So now YOU know.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions gone horribly wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:52 am »

When you say you're changing the order the stones are in... in which file do you mean?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

How does the "all stones are economic stones" mod solve that "bug"?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52:32 am »

Did you start the Fortress before you reorganized the contents of the Minerals file?

I have an organized minerals and layers and soils and metals and reactions files and I don't have the problem you are describing. So I'm thinking you gened a world and made a fortress and then rearranged those files causing the odd event you describe. I bet if you rearranged those files and then made a world you wouldn't have the problem you are describing.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:10 pm »

-I mean the matgloss_stone_mineral.txt file, which was a frightful jumble of various things. I'm not sure if the same applies to matgloss_plant.txtl and matgloss_metal.txt, as I have not changed them and do not intend to now.

-The Economic Stones panel displayed all of the stones, in the order that the game perceived them. I was able to directly follow this order to re-align the stones.

-Yes, I did start playing before changing it. I thought it would be fine, since I wasn't changing or removing any entry names, but noooo...

Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:31 pm »

All you can do to the RAW files without getting errors in an active save is change tags. Reordering the objects tags describe, adding new objects, removing objects, or renaming anything is not supported in an active save.
!!&!!