Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mattresses  (Read 1445 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Mattresses
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

So, we can only make beds of wood. Presumably because dwarves sleep right on them, with no mattresses or sheets. What I suggest is to allow all kinds of beds, stone, metal... What have you. Just make them less comfortable (unhappy thoughts? Or less than happy thoughts?) than wood beds.

Also, allow clothier shops to make mattresses, bedspreads, and pillows (three separate objects) out of plant fibers or silks, maybe even out of leather? Perhaps add a new plant like cotton or another plant that can be used to make stuffing for mattresses and pillows... Maybe make mattresses and pillows a two-step creation where you have to make it, then stuff it?

After that, maybe q-select a bed (kind of like a lever) and select "add mattress/pillow/bedspread" or something like that?

It could be a requirement for nobles or just a source of happiness? Perhaps it could let dwarves sleep less?

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mattresses
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

Perhaps to build a bed you should need both a mattress and a bed, with a mattress from the clothiers.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

Or maybe you could put the mattress directly in the ground...

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

But early game that would require players to set up a clothier. Especially for newer players or for locations where that would be difficult (not enough resources or just lacking dwarfpower) that wouldn't be a good idea. Dwarves already sleep on plain wood beds. Why not make mattresses, pillows, and bedspreads an additional thing? Kind of like encrusting things with gems.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

That is the idea here.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:19:00 am »

I don't think the idea should be to force players to set up clothiers early on just to produce beds. The idea is to allow for more expansion of beds and such later, not to make players HAVE to build a clothier and loom when they first arrive just to make mattresses so their dwarves get good sleep. What if people don't bring pig tail seeds with? Don't dwarves also hate sleeping on the ground?

And why should regular old dwarves want mattresses, pillows, and bedspreads? That's something you'd expect nobles to want. That is a luxury, not a requirement. Especially if you require a material to stuff the bed with.

Like I said, it's intended to be like encrusting something with gems. Making things more comfortable should be another aspect of item improvement. It shouldn't be a requirement.

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Zombie ]

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

I've thought that hammocks (made from either cloth or leather) would be a nice addition.  They'd be useful for those areas short on wood.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

Hammocks are nice ideas too. Better yet, they should be allowable for military dwarves, so they can get bed-like sleep when away from the barracks. Or maybe just temporary bedding for dwarves, like when you first arrive.

Cots made out of fabric and metal/stone could be a nice addition too. In an area where you might not have any trees, they could be a viable alternative to a bed in lieu of requesting wood from a caravan and hoping they bring a sizeable amount. Goodness knows, sometimes setting logs to high priority only gets me one (Yes, ONE!) log on the next dwarven caravan.

Late (meaning later than "just arrived") game, you could get dwarves requesting mattresses and bedspreads, maybe pillows too, for their rooms. It would be nice to see dwarf needs and demands change depending on what resources you have available or what workshops you have. If dwarves know you have cloth and know you have stuffing material, they should start requesting mattresses and bedspreads for their presumably hard and bare wooden beds. Especially those dwarves that like to sleep in what they were born, if you know what I mean... That can lead to pretty nasty splinters on an undressed wooden bed.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

Soldiers can be toggled to sleep on ground in the military menu.  If they could carry a +rope reed bedroll+ they might enjoy it more ... but they'd need a -elk leather backpack- to put it in first.

What I think is more important is having more pieces of furniture to assign a bedroom from.  Back in treeless 0.23 maps this was more an issue, but even with log trading on 0.27 it would be nice to assign bedrooms from cabinets or coffers maybe, so a dwarf would still have his own room to sleep in, even if he/she still grumbles about sleeping on the floor.

I've always wanted rugs (and tapestries).  Make a rug (clothier's shop or at the loom?) from cave spider silk, dye it blue with some dimple dye, and build it in a dwarf's room with furniture hauling.  A rug would be a good piece of furniture from which to assign a bedroom and dwarves with a rug but no bed would probably enjoy sleeping on the rug more than the floor.  They should naturally make for valuable trade goods also.

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »

I've thought about rugs and tapestries.  Those would be a nice addition, and they could have images woven into them using the same image generation routines as the engraving.

There could be some interesting intersections from placing a rug on an engraved floor or wall, however.  Probably the value of the rug would totally eclipse the value of the engravings, since they are presumably covered up, at least in the most part, but how would an engraver feel about having his masterpiece concealed beneath the rug?

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Psitticine:
<STRONG>how would an engraver feel about having his masterpiece concealed beneath the rug?</STRONG>

Another meaning to "swept under the rug"

Rugs, if added, you have to take a long time to make, perhaps with a % complete at the workshop.