Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Problems  (Read 1272 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well Problems
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »

I want my dwarves to make a pond. My dwarves will go to the well, then just wait forever with the "fill pond" labor showing as their current task. The well does the normal animation, but it never actually gives them any water. The water is two z-levels below the well, and is unblocked. The well says "active".

It's outside on a cold map. If z-level 0 is the surface, then z+2 is the well, z has water, and z-1 has magma. The well is made of obsidian mechanisms, a steel chain, a steel block, and a steel bucket.

What am I doing wrong?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:24:55 pm »

Where is the pond that they are filling up?

Also, I'm a bit confused, are you saying there is magma between the water and the well?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:28:32 pm »

Also, I'm a bit confused, are you saying there is magma between the water and the well?

I think he's saying that the water would be frozen, except he channeled magma below it, so that the magma would keep the water from freezing.

As for your problem... I honestly don't know.  My wells have been giving me problems, as well.  My dwarves seem to want to ignore the well, and just jump into my resevoir to get stagnant water instead of clean well water.  Even when I restrict their water-gathering to the well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »

I think he's saying that the water would be frozen, except he channeled magma below it, so that the magma would keep the water from freezing.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »

This is going to sound odd but the water may be freezing in the bucket as it is cranked out of the well. Someone else reported this problem when they had a bunch of thirsty dwarves die while clustered around the well (reported as drinking themselves to death).

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »

When I turned temperature off then deconstructed and reconstructed the well, it started working. Sounds like you were right. Thanks!