Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Ramps reset pressure?  (Read 778 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Ramps reset pressure?
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »

I know it's a noobie question, but I never used ramps in a aquaduct tunnel before for some reason. I'm wondering if my map is acting funny or if I'm just waiting for my well to flood. Do ramps reset the pressure of water like a diagonal gap does?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Do Ramps reset pressure?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:34:11 pm »

I'm fairly certain that they don't.

I could get into an explanation of how in terms of water pressure ramps and open spaces are functionally identical, but I don't really want to take the effort to do that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »

That's good enough, I wasn't asking for the full technical specs, just a yes or no. ;)  Weird, I wonder why it didn't flood. It was 4 levels below the brook it pulled from. I thought brooks gave pressure up to -2z from the source. I must've done something else in there and not realized it.

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:29:59 am »

From my experience, wells tend to block 1z worth of pressure. Maybe that has something to do with it?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:46:45 am »

No, pressure naturally causes water to rise to the z-level below the source.  It isn't just wells that do that.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:23 am »

Right, but the Well was at z-3 from the water source. Even with a brook it should be trying to push the water up at least 1 more level. There were no angled gaps anywhere that I could find. I was trying to figure out what the loss of pressure was coming from. Still haven't, but the save has since been deleted.