Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vermin with graphics?  (Read 1126 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
vermin with graphics?
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:06:44 pm »

stupid question but possible? wondering so i can free up the tileset.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: vermin with graphics?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »

Yes, I made a vermin with graphics once so it can be done.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:23 pm »

I found this not to work, when I tried to create graphics for birds. There hasn't been a new DF release since then.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:46 am »

Idk if this is relevant, but I'm pretty sure it's possible - fluffy wamblers were dots when I was playing Civ Forge, on Dig Dwarfier they're proper little birds, faries have their won graphics too. Unless it's being done some other way, then I think it's possible to mod.

Jerkald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Polish Games
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:36:19 am »

I was under the impression that you couldn't change the graphic of a vermin but you could change its ascii letter.

I use dig deeper and whenever a tile shows up that doesn't have an assigned graphic, I would take the time to make one.  Well, I had made a snake, to replace the ascii but it wouldn't load up correctly and always reverted to the ascii.  I did a search on the forum and found a similar thread that said vermin don't use graphics.

Idk if this is relevant, but I'm pretty sure it's possible - fluffy wamblers were dots when I was playing Civ Forge, on Dig Dwarfier they're proper little birds, faries have their won graphics too. Unless it's being done some other way, then I think it's possible to mod.

Could it be that the birds and fairies just use a bird or fairy looking tile from the tileset, instead of their own graphic?  Mayday does that with his graphics pack.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:19 am »

Could it be that the birds and fairies just use a bird or fairy looking tile from the tileset, instead of their own graphic?  Mayday does that with his graphics pack.

Quite possibly - I don't honestly know how tilesets and graphics work, I've only been poking about and assumed that because I saw graphics for vermin on some mods that it was possible to change the others vOv

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:29:54 pm »

Quite possibly - I don't honestly know how tilesets and graphics work, I've only been poking about and assumed that because I saw graphics for vermin on some mods that it was possible to change the others vOv

This is usually done by having the vermin use an otherwise unused character in the tileset, which is replaced by a graphic.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:36:25 pm »

Ah, i've just had a look at the dig deeper tileset, t'is indeed the way it's done :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »

I haven't messed around with a proper graphics set, but I have done tileset stuff.

All you need to do is go into your raws, find the [tile:*], and replace that * with the number of the tile you want to represent your vermin. (Each row is 16, and it starts at 0, so the first tile of the second row is [tile:16].)

You will probably want to search-and-replace all the special characters from your language raws so that none of the characters have accents over them.  That frees up about 40 characters you can use for whatever.

You can just go through the wiki's list of tilesets, and copy-paste different kinds of tiles onto your own personal tileset, which is what I did.  I haven't bothered to do more than the turtle yet, however... I probably should.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »

sweet thanks people.