Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords  (Read 5418 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 06:39:44 am »

LAST ONE ALIVE , WINS THE WAR

heck , making your recruits spar with masterwork Obsidian/Steel Swords/axe/hammer/knife(?)/spear is like playing Last Man Standing , except that you are not involved.

i had tried to make my champions spar with masterwork adamatine hammers once...... words cannot discribe the carnage

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01:45 am »

My military training is survival of the fittest. I toss dwarves into the barracks with a weapon and shield, and if they kill each other so be it. It will weed out the weak. No mercy.

Goblin seige. Lots of traps. Arena. you see where I am going.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 11:48:47 am »

Turns out the never ending party going on by the beachside well is exposing all the dwarves to constant mist from the waves.  I'm picturing everyone just spending all their time drunk on the beach, so they don't even care if they don't have beds or a dining room.

Sounds suspiciously like Tijuana Fortress to me...
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 01:08:31 pm »

Pah, who needs to spar?  Set newly drafted recruits on the latest goblin siege, armed and dangerous.  I lose less dwarves that way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2010, 11:46:06 pm »

Problem with survival of the fittest training: one of my elite wrestlers was, for some reason, not making champion, even when all his compatriots had.

Then I noticed a down arrow in his wounds page.

He had minor brain damage, presumably from a concussion inflicted during training.

Besides, seriously, guys?  Killing off your resources assets dwarves who rely upon you for guidance simply because you're too lazy to bother assigning them busywork?  When you have sand that can be gathered, glass to be blown and cut, and random junk you can decorate with menacing glass spikes?  When there are megaprojects to build?  When there are socks to be decorated with every gem in the game?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 12:45:40 am »

^That's all well and good, but from my experience, immigrants lead to low FPS, low FPS leads to boredom, boredom leads to fortressdeath. Having then all spar with weapons kills off a good deal of useless, fortress killing, irritations.
Also, if they're all killing each other I can sell their clothes to the merchants for profit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 09:38:58 am »

I use suicide squads of useless immigrants. If any of them manage to become elite wrestlers, they make it into the real squads.
Roughly 80 immigrants have been culled this way.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]