Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh Carp! [small suggestion]  (Read 1197 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Oh Carp! [small suggestion]
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:26:28 pm »

Hey I don't know exactly what's being done for creatures in the new release; so I'm trying to be a bit more vague here.  Also, I don't know whether or not I'm going over covered ground, but if I am then I'm sorry. (never enough time...) :P

I was thinking that if the fish 'problem' remains in new version that there might be a good way to balance it out while still keeping the humor in it.  You could set all (freshwater) fish to [FISHITEM]&[VERMIN_FISH](provided these tags still exist)...
Except for Carp. ;D

Leave Carp as it is (except maybe remove [BENIGN]), and make an entirely new line of killers based off of them.

Giant Carp:  like a Carp, but size 9
Whale Carp:  size 16 :o
Blood Carp:  dark red, add [LARGE_PREDATOR][SAVAGE][CARNIVORE] and maybe some nastier attacks
Death Carp:  like Blood Carp, but [EVIL] instead of [SAVAGE].
Mud Carp:  don't know how to do this one; the idea is that it could waddle out of the river from time to time to attack dwarves near the riverbanks, but then there's nothing keeping them from waddling across the entire map to get at you (but that might be a good thing, if they're really slow out of the water...)
Flying Carp:  no, you didn't see this, move along.
Holy Carp(!!!):  this one's a bit tricky... needs something to make it special beyond the [GOOD] tag. :-\
Lava Carp:  once again, don't know how to do this.  Magma/Fire Men/Imps all have [NOBREATH]&[SWIMS_INNATE]... does this mean DF treats magma just like 12000 degree water?

I know that all this has probably been been said before;:-[  but I'd at least like to have this in some of the the first player mods for DF 2010.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Carp! [small suggestion]
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

Could help if you put this in modding.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:48:35 pm »

Yes, LOL RANDUM XD things are better left to mods. Magical carp doesn't really seem to fit the direction vanilla DF is going. AND you won't have to wait 6 months for it to get done, too.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:37 pm »

I was thinking that if the fish 'problem' remains in new version

It doesn't.  Carp are no longer all that scary.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »

Drowning is still lethal, therefore, fish are still dangerous. But to a lesser extent, thanks to material rewrites.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »

Could help if you put this in modding.
Ok, I moved it.  You're right, it should have been here all along, I just wasn't thinking where I was putting it... :P

Still, I think that if the fish problem's been removed, it should be put back in; just for Fun!

P.S. I do however agree that all this shouldn't be in vanilla DF (but it should be paid homage to, like in engravings and stuff)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:54:36 pm by Arkenstone »

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:20:00 pm »

Ok, I moved it.  You're right, it should have been here all along, I just wasn't thinking where I was putting it... :P

Still, I think that if the fish problem's been removed, it should be put back in; just for Fun!

P.S. I do however agree that all this shouldn't be in vanilla DF (but it should be paid homage to, like in engravings and stuff)

Make your mod, then. It wouldn't be difficult to rig up your ubermench carp, but it's gotta be done, and that takes longer than a forum post.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »

It wouldn't be difficult to rig up your ubermench carp
Du bedeutest Überkarpfen!

Yes, I know; what I'd like is some suggestions/comment/critique on what I already have.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:42 am »

It looks good, you should make it.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »

Oh, I will- but after the release of DF 2010 (don't want all my hard work Fun to be for nothing!)