Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves, humans, can they hate me?  (Read 1196 times)

Elves, humans, can they hate me?
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:57 pm »

yes, can I get humans or elves to hate me so much that they'll actually attack me?
That's what I'm wondering about.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, humans, can they hate me?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

Yes but its apparently pretty hard.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:59:04 pm »

If you mean they start at war with you, they can but it's very rare.
If you mean giving the crappy deals and/or not trading with them at all, no.
If you mean seizing all their Rope reed cloth then yes.

If you don't trade (Or don't trade for a good profit) they'll just bring less and less stuff, elves this is good, they start bringing GOOD stuff instead of cloth, humans, less so.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »

Here's a partial list of things that will cause the elves to dislike you. Note that if they start bringing non-cloth items, they might be getting tired of your nonsense:

1) Collect some firewood. The more logs you have in your stockpile, even if the elves themselves gave the logs to you, the more grumpy they'll be when their diplomat comes by. Note that you need at least a baron.
2) Trade them stuff. Things coated in non-goblin/kobold blood ticks them off if I recall, and wooden things (and wood derivatives, such as green glass) will similarly infuriate them. It's possible this isn't actually effective... unless combined with
3) Loot. Loot, loot, loot. Take everything on the caravan without giving them an Armok-damned dime. This one will actually work with the humans, too, eventually.
4) Walls... Once you take everything that could theoretically be of value, wall up the trade depot and receive quality entertainment as the elves and their mounts gradually go insane and murder one another. Then sell their bones-made-crafts to the dwarven caravan. Again, this works with the humans.
Ticking off the humans isn't as good as elves, since they'll actually bring real weapons instead of toy (don't allow near small dwarves) wooden swords. And you get to actually select purchases from them, making them vaguely useful. Especially if you're trying to buy more wood to annoy the elves.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »

Yes. And it's pretty easy. Just build a drowning trap for your trade depot, and drown every caravan that visits until a siege comes instead. And request the most expensive stuff you can, since you aren't going to be paying for it anyway (and more expensive stuff will probably piss off the civ faster).
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »

I recall playing a game where I got a human siege in winter of year 2, before I'd even hit 50 dwarves. Their diplomat got killed by a goblin ambush and I guess they blamed me?

So that may be a good fast-track to fighting the humans. off the merchant prince, see how they like you now!

It's anecdotal though, so who knows, maybe it was just a fluke.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 02:11:08 am »

Ignore their liaisons, they leave upset.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »

Kill their liaisons, they leave corpses.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:00 am »

OH MY GOD.

I don't know WHAT ON EARTH I DID, but the elves ambushed me! They ran right into my fortress and are killing everything in sight! I haven't even traded with elves!

Yes. Yes you can make the elves hate you. By existing.
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:14 am »

Sometimes they start out at war with you, I think.

Also

Ignore their liaisons, they leave upset.

Kill their liaisons, they leave corpses.

I sea what you did there. Hur hur.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:47:38 am »

The only reliable way to start a war I know if, is to kill their diplomats (including liasons). 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.