Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will I Ever Get Attacked?  (Read 909 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will I Ever Get Attacked?
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:12:46 am »

I started a new fort over the weekend, and it had lots of fun features that I had fun with.  However, I'm worried that...  I somehow screwed up and the only civ in the area is my own(dwarven) civ, and no goblins, kobolds, elves, or others will ever menace me.

I did find a chasm, which took a few marksdwarves a few minutes to mow down everything inside.  Other than the occasional rhesus macaque, nothing has happened, in 3.5 game years. 

Will anything ever happen, or am I just screwed?  Can I mod my save somehow to induce goblin seiges? 

Bonus question:  I can't really understand from the dev logs (it seems to mostly be about some medical/tissue thing) but will difficulty be up  in the next release?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will I Ever Get Attacked?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:47:28 am »

Your fort is pretty much doomed to boredom. Pick a megaproject, play with the magma, or start a new one. I don't think there's any way to induce a siege with no civs in the area.

As for difficulty, I think its intended to be more fun in general which implies more chances for the player to make it difficult. The medical stuff should make it easier if anything, since wounds can now be treated and amputations will heal over rather than leave the victim stuck in bed forever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:17 am »

You know, there are orc mods, relentless assault, and Dig Deeper if you want it harder (Or just going to a terrifying biome).

Basically, if you haven't even been visited by traders besides your home civ, you're probably either isolated, or you genned a world with no other civs.

You might want to copy your save, abandon your fort in the copy, and look at the embark location screen or Legends to see what other civs are out there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

If you have not yet gotten any other races whatsoever in the 3.5 years, then chances are they won't show. Always check what races have access before abandoning.

As for next update, you can see for yourself and draw conclusions.. Some things may make it harder, some things may make it easier.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en&pli=1
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:44 am »

And as far as the medical stuff is concerned, remember what that dwarf had to go through with an inexperienced surgeon on-call...

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but that's something I definitely want to see.  And lots of it.

Maybe I'll have a medical duty rotation, so I never have a too-experienced dwarf performing the service...

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:19:48 pm »

If you have not yet gotten any other races whatsoever in the 3.5 years, then chances are they won't show. Always check what races have access before abandoning.

As for next update, you can see for yourself and draw conclusions.. Some things may make it harder, some things may make it easier.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en&pli=1

As for the next update: I can't view the google doc - it's blocked from work (where I am).

I'm curious though if siegers will ever bring siege engineers, such that raising a drawbridge doesn't make you immune to everything (they could build a bridge, dig down to your fort, or etc) - or that you would need the outside world for something - in either case, you'd have to eventually try to break the siege.  A human or elven tunneling effort gradually proceeding to some obscure entrance to your fort would be awesome (especially if you throwing up a wall in front of it didn't stop it). 

Medicine is kind of interesting, as in it'd be nice to help my dwarves get better after sparring, but....  that's not really a big factor in my Fun levels.

As for your answer to my original question: how Very Frustrating.  It seems like I always forget SOMETHING when I embark - checking the nearby civs never occured to me, because I assumed that at a minimum goblins would harass me. 

Edit: I see toady talking about all the things I want in sieges in DF talk #2.  Now i'm just wondering when DF Talk #2 was - and when those ideas might see implementation.  Given the current release cycle, and assuming it's not in this release, I'm thinking 2012-2014?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:33:22 pm by JimboOmega »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:05:36 pm »

Whoa, Toady just leapt from DF 2 to DF 5. This is crazy awesome.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:39:23 am »

Having been able to read the list at home -

It sounds to me like the most exciting changes are to the underground, making an underground full of features -  some of which spawn various things to attack you.

There's no changes to the fundamentally broken system that overpowers traps and walls and the like.   It's very good to know as per the aforementioned talk that Toady is aware of it.  He seemed deeply concerned that sieges are an "optional" aspect and mostly a meat grinder situation.

There are a lot of features that will make things more convenient.  I like health care, and squad management in particular.  Trying to keep my marksdwarves at their posts during the caravan (and thus Goblin raid) time was always kind of a nightmare (oops, the leader is hungry, hey, I need some bolts, etc.).

I wonder if rotting of clothes/etc. will mean I need to pay attention to the clothing industry? 

All that said I think my current fort is almost a total loss.  there isn't even magma to flood it with.