Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thousands of wild animals queuing just off-map, looking at their watches?  (Read 2503 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just dump all stray animals into a shallow pit.

Under the pit are 3 retractable bridges linked to 3 levers. When I need more work for my bonecrafters so they can decorate more things with bling, I will pull a lever. 1/3rd of the animals will then fall and explode. The bits will then decay into bones, so one animal can now decorate 5-6 items instead of just one item.

As it only explodes 1/3rd of the population at any given time, the remaining population will then breed again to replenish the stocks.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He wants meat not bones.
Nom nom nom

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Same thing works.

Just be sure to designate every animal to be butchered from the stocks menu. Use the same sort of setup where you can dump 1/3rd of the animals from the breeding pit from time to time.

Except instead of a splatter pit, just make it a 1 Z level drop.

Once the animals drop your dwarves will then begin swarming over them and start butchering away.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile

Same thing works.

Just be sure to designate every animal to be butchered from the stocks menu. Use the same sort of setup where you can dump 1/3rd of the animals from the breeding pit from time to time.

Except instead of a splatter pit, just make it a 1 Z level drop.

Once the animals drop your dwarves will then begin swarming over them and start butchering away.

But you have to keep re-designating every year or two, because of births.

And you have to get the right balance of a deep enough drop that it hopefully cripples them, so they don't wander off and have babies somewhere else and get breeders established outside the pit, but also a shallow enough drop that it kills them and renders them unusable.

I hadn't thought of letting them all out at intervals to breed. Cheers guys.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the pit design because they can breed at all times so the population is always being replenished. Dropping out 1/3rd means that there will always be sufficient breeding stock.

The dumping pit is also right next to the butcher/tanner workshops, and I have numerous workshops. If I do a dump, dwarves just swarm over all of the animals and butcher them almost instantly. They can deal with 100 animals in only a few minutes, not nearly enough time for them to wander off.
Pages: 1 [2]