Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wikipedia Creature Guide  (Read 636 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Wikipedia Creature Guide
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:00 am »

So... this isn't so much a suggestion more like a call for assistance. I already did hours upon hours of research for my prefstring mod and I noticed how useless the wiki is at telling what kind of creature is what. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other wiki users who aren't on these forums just as baffled about fluffy wamblers and cave swallowmen as I am.

Thus, I want to write up nice descriptions, hints, strategies, and the like for every single creature in the game in the wiki. The thing is that I know about as much of wiki editing as my grandmother. Is there anyone willing to help me out? It's a pretty thankless job and it will take a lot of work (probably a week or so) but you get that warm fuzzy feeling that you made that new kid's life a lot better knowing that he now knows he got killed by a silly little cutesy creature with big wide eyes.

Here's a general idea of what I'm going for: http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia Creature Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

That kind of guide makes more sense for Nethack, where most of the monsters do something special (and at the very least you need to know which ones are safe to eat), than it does for DF, where most of the monsters do exactly the same thing, only with slightly different stats. About all it's worth noting for most creatures is their size, damblock, and attack power, which are all there in the raws (included on the wiki page) and quite easy to read. The ones that do something special are already noted with extra text on their respective pages.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

He's not talking about the informative stuff.  He's talking about the pure fluff.  The descriptive story stuff.  We might be able to do that sort of thing with the Reward Stories people have posted.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

How do you edit the wiki anyways?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

You register, login, then click edit on top of a page.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

Yeah, what Fieari said. The creatures are all the same, more or less, but the point of this is to give some sort of placebo effect that maybe they aren't (to justify the frigging 20000 types of gibbons who are stats-wise identical for example)