Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another way to get artifacts  (Read 959 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Another way to get artifacts
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

I think created items of atleast "finely-crafted" workmanship should start increasing in value over time. That's what art tends to do. Maybe their overall value could increase by 1% every year, after their creator has died. There could also be a chance that, after an item (of any workmanship level) has been used, either in a significant event, or by a legendary dwarf creating a masterwork, or in the creation of an artifact, that that item, too, would begin increasing in value from that point on. Ofcourse, it would be a strain on the computer to keep track of such things, but it could always be a feature that can be deactivated.

Also, or instead, maybe there could be an Artifact mood that causes a dwarf to reforge a significant item into an Artifact?

And I'm all for warhammers being necessary for forging.

For they would be your masters.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

I think that an item involves in a very significant event SHOULD become a semi-artifact, gaining a name and maybe even (a) legend(s), although that alone will not make it vetry special combat-wise. It should have a nonphysical effect on intelligent life that has heard of it up to the point of scaring off armies. If it accuires any special abilities, they would come from a god or other magical being adding to it as a result. Any item with such legends should give appropriate thoughts to the wearer, such as making a dwarf feel bolder, and that may have a slight effect, or making certain people nervous, depending on the situation(the dwarf wearing the armor of a legendary evil kobold might be a little nervous, especially if one of the kobold gods gave it special powers, due to the fact that it could easily be changed to a curse).
Higher quality items would be more likely to be selected for such things.
Eh?
Eh!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

I like the idea of items getting names.  I don't like the idea of swords suddenly getting sharper just because they have a name.

A named animal or adventurer doesn't gain any stats just because of its name -- it gains stats because it was in combat and lived.  If it could kill without gaining stats, it would.

Pages: 1 [2]