Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding HFS  (Read 1049 times)

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding HFS
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:01:14 am »

Alright I posted a topic like this a couple days ago, but I just wanted to be sure.

Will digging through the bottom-most layer of your fortress be able to find if you have it? I dug out 10x10 blocks throughout the whole thing.

I WANNA FIGHT CLOWNS. D:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Finding HFS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:32 am »

Yes, digging out the bottom layer will eventually reveal it.  But it's actually harder to find down there, since it only makes up a few tiles on the absolute lowest level.  Higher up you'll get much larger sections of the chamber that are easier to bump into.

Please note that you most likely won't get any warning before cracking the barrier...  No "damp/warm stone" messages.  The only way to get a heads-up is if you hit a vein of the blue stuff.

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:52:38 am »

The warning is not an issue for me. I'm so anxious to find it that I'm constantly monitoring my miners, so far there's been nothing. How do you guys look for it?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:05 am »

Normally?  I look for it by excavating some new planned room with specific dimensions.  The entrance tends to be right in the last corner that's dug out.

There's a cheat way of finding it and a tedious way of finding it.  The cheat way is to use a utility to reveal the map, then savescum and dig to the location you remember it being.

The tedious way is to keep digging.  There are exploratory digging method threads and discussions around here, just poke around and you'll find the essentials.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:31 am »

Since you know what map region it is in, the easiest way would be to just use any of the exploratory mining patterns that reveal everything to mine the bottom layer.

Easiest, but perhaps not safest, heh.

I build a green room for the clowns, send one miner in there and then close the door on him. My military is usually in box seats overlooking the stage. Just have the miner dig an up down staircase all the way to the bottom, one level at a time near the center of the map tile in question. If that doesn't work, sink another exploratory shaft.

Lock the door behind him so he won't get any other jobs and so that nobody else will come in and designate the tiles to dig one at a time.  That way when you finally break through you can unlock the door and hopefully he'll run out of there before they pile out of the clown car.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:24:35 am »

Why even build the door? It'll just deconstruct under the gaze of the mighty clown army.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:11 am »

To keep the other dwarves out. Pay attention!

I've had great success dispatching spirits of clowning with a shooting gallery overlooking a chamber with lots of distraction animals chained there. 15 clowns only managed to kill some monkeys and tear away the left thumg of one of my 8 champion marks/hammerdwarves. 2 of them had to be hospitalised for a couple of years though.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:20 am »

Meh. I'd probably just kill them with siege engines or falling rock. They're not immune to either of those, are they?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »

I use the 'mine one skip 2' exploratory method on the bottom z level where the HFS is located to find it.  As soon as I get the 'broken into chamber' message I undesignate any further digging and immediately construct a wall to block the hole the miners made.  This keeps the clowns in the funhouse until I am ready to deal with them, and exposes the whole chamber so I know what I am dealing with (the clowns themselves hide however).  So far this method has worked out extremely well for me.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.