Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is it worth it to swap outmy first anvil?  (Read 4506 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to swap outmy first anvil?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »

I don't make rock crafts, because trading them is tedious and they keep getting decorated with saphires and rubies. Instead, I bring anvil and tetrahedrite. All the silver I get out of it is made into flasks and goblets, which are then encrusted with any gems I find. I haven't done any calculations, but I think this can net me more dwarfbucks when the caravan arrives, provided I run into a vein of any valuable metal early on. That's usually not a problem, because I embark on sedimentary, which contains loads of magnetite, and where's magnetite there's platinum.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »

I never bring an anvil.  Other than trying to make the game more difficult I have yet to see a valid reason other than personal preference for bringing one.

When the most effective weapon in the game is a crossbow, which can made without an anvil, the "I need weapons early on, just in case" argument falls to pieces. When you can stick the dwarf with the crossbow behind a fortification 1 z-level higher than your entrance, the "I need metal armor" argument falls to pieces.

I think there's a lot of players among us who refuse to train marksmen (and use traps) because of their overpoweredness.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

I never bring an anvil.  Other than trying to make the game more difficult I have yet to see a valid reason other than personal preference for bringing one.

When the most effective weapon in the game is a crossbow, which can made without an anvil, the "I need weapons early on, just in case" argument falls to pieces. When you can stick the dwarf with the crossbow behind a fortification 1 z-level higher than your entrance, the "I need metal armor" argument falls to pieces.

I think there's a lot of players among us who refuse to train marksmen (and use traps) because of their overpoweredness.

Same, I don't find starting up a metal industry within the first year a real priority, and its all too easy to obtain an anvil via various methods.

I used to do Marksdwarves, but got bored of it because it was just too easy and just about always a massacre for the goblins.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:30 pm »

I'm interested in the mod that makes layer stone worthless without polishing.
I'm more interested in why you'd polish something that you're going to carve up anyway.  ;D
Dwarvern secret technique. Polishes inside and out.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »

Any advice you follow is good advice. Even if you loose your fort due to said advice. Really. Loosing is fun.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]