Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modify Charcoal reaction?  (Read 1661 times)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
Modify Charcoal reaction?
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »

Greetings: I embarked on a map that supposedly had a magma vent, but after months of exploratory digging, I'm going to give up. Would it be possible to edit the wood->charcoal reaction to give me 50 bars of charcoal per wood, instead of 1, without having to either world-gen or make a new fort? I know how to edit the reaction, i just want to be sure I can keep playing.
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Modify Charcoal reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:17:22 pm »

There's really no way to do that for the wood furnace, but you can engineer a smelter to do that as long as you don't mind modifying an existing reaction to no longer work (it's too late to add in a new smelter option, you'd have to generate a new world to pull that off).  Of course, you could also opt to remove the [FUEL] tag from all Smelter operations, thus removing the need for charcoal entirely.
Sanity is for the weak.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

No, not in the wood burning furnace.

You can alter reactions in the smelter though.

For example, if you have lignite or coal you can create the reaction so that it does not consume the lignite or coal:

[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:LIGNITE_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from lignite]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:LIGNITE]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:LIGNITE]
[FUEL]

You should not have to regen the world to do this. This reaction generates 10 fuel per job, and does not consume the initial fuel. Thus, if you have a few coal or lignite sitting around you will be able to get unlimited fuel from it, so you can have an industry up and running even without magma.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:17 pm »

You don't need to put the lignite on both sides of the reaction.  The smelter is perfectly fine with producing something with no reagent.  The only thing that does is prevent you from performing that reaction without the stone on-site, which may or may not be intended.

Basically, the only time you need to regen the world is when you add a new reaction.  If you modify an existing reaction, you can just keep playing.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

Thanks, got it to work. I'm going to do the same with glass, I think. Thankfully I have sand.
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:20 pm »

I like at least requiring the initial lignite or coal. You should be able to import it, but once you import at least a few pieces of it you're good to go.

Just make sure you don't accidentally use it all up during a strange mood.