Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flaghord Rigothadil, Carpenter has created Resilsokan, a chestnut cabinet!  (Read 994 times)

EpicPhayl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a chestnut cabinet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with Chestnut and encircled with bands of Maple. On this item is an image of The Comedic Phrase the Chestnut cabinet in Chestnut.

So, it's a Chestnut Cabinet, with the image of aforementioned Chestnut cabinet in Chestnut. Which implies it's infinitely recursive.

Win?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile

Planepacked FTW.

Recursive decorations on artifacts come up frequently.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

As Aachen said, this is widely known. The most common being Planepacked, which refers to itself multiple times. Infinite recursion branches?

I was thinking to pull off a "dwarves can divide by zero" joke, but I'd rather not.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got a chestnut statue with a picture of dwarf deaths on it before.

I put it in the cemetary.

EpicPhayl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

haha, i wasn't aware it was so frequent.

I wasn't sure that the artifact item was allowed to be engraved since it didn't exist beforehand...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wasn't sure that the artifact item was allowed to be engraved since it didn't exist beforehand...

But that's assuming dwarves move the same way in space time that we do. Remember they can pile a million rocks on one square and then make it vanish into thin air. hmmmmm... I wonder if I put every dwarf in my fort on the same square will the density create a singularity?

They probably have a vision of the future in which they see the artifact that they had created. At which point said dwarf will have a mood in order to create the artifact, and having already seen it will be able to engrave it.

Shadefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Planepacked is the most well known example of this.

It had 73 (?) images of itself on there

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think it's that hard to do that. Just make your artifact without decorations, then add the rings and spikes, then finally engrave it's own image somewhere onto it.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.