Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Erroneous items auto-claim  (Read 779 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Erroneous items auto-claim
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »

Hi,

A  bug to report, or a very badly designed 'work as designed' feature.

I got a report of an ambush. The ambushed were in fact some skeletal mole in a cavern, a bit far from my fortress. The ambushers were kobolds.

A kobold is kill by the mole, then the mole is disposed by the rest of the kobolds.

A mn later, I have a message that a store item task is canceled by a kobold. This seems weird to me, as the kobolds are still very far from me.

I check, and what I see in dismay? My dwarves are all targeting the remains of the killed kobold, and want to grab the chunks and bones to the refuse stockpile. All items are in brown without brackets.

I really don't understand the logic here. Some ambushers stumble on the local wildlife, and I get ownership of the spoils? This is really bad. I took no part in the action, and I surely don't want my dwarves to start searching the countryside for spoils generated by third parties...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Erroneous items auto-claim
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:24:58 pm »

If you have the (o)rders menu set to "Forbid other death items", then it's a bug. If, however, it's set to Claim them, then it's working as designed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:34:52 am »

ok, my bad then. I must have been irritated by the dorfs in the military, 1/3 being asleep, 1/3 eating, 1/3 drinking while I needed them  ;D

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:56:39 am »

Plus, if I may add, ambush is spotted whenever ANYONE stumbles upon invaders' path. Similar to thieves and snatchers. That means either wildlife, your animals or your dwarf reveal ambushers.
Which is good.
Imagine only your dwarfs could detect said troubles and by some odd turn of events all of your dorfs would be in the heart of your fortress? Imagine 30+ gobbos suddenly appearing in your dinning hall?

Man, that would be awesome. Gotta look for [DETECT BY DWARFS ONLY] tag or something in this manner and try this myself.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:43:28 pm »

I`ve been having this happen too, it`s usually when skeletal or zombie creatures find an ambush and are killed that their bones don`t become forbidden when they die.  My workaround is to 'O' not claim refuse from outside, but that`s a workaround at best.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.