Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

World generation and embarkation: do you enjoy it?

Love it, almost as good as the game itself!
It's fun.
[Neutral opinion]
It's kinda tedious.
Hate it, just let me play!

Author Topic: Poll: Do you like generating worlds and picking sites for your fortress?  (Read 1470 times)

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say I fall into the first segment.  I can think of a few lazy weekends where I cracked an energy drink and spent the better part of a Saturday morning generating worlds and picking the perfect spot for my new project.  Messing with worldgen parameters; studying reject logs; copying a world save so I can preview a location... all good stuff.

What's your take?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

I agree. I'll spend hours trying to gen the perfect site, embark on it, play a little, then leave for a while to make a different site. think i spend almost as much time on that screen as i do actually playing the game
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Ooh, tricky...  On the one hand, if I've got something particular in mind it will take an exasperatingly long time to find just the right spot, and that can be annoying.

On the other hand, if I'm just looking, then I can dream up all manner of interesting ideas when I'm browsing around.

I do certainly like watching the worldgen.  I remember my very first time, looking at that screen with a sense of wonder...   Ahh, nostalgia.

Yeah, I like it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

It's fun.

I just have that thing - I have to ensure I will have 'perfect' pantheon (e.g: no random gods of fish, fishing, hunting and rainbows for some reason), and sometimes that requires an additional world_gen, or four :P

Also, I like watching the town grow large, then suddenly turn into ruins and get surrounded by forest. That makes me go into legends mode to find out about the cause.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got just one word to describe it. It is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use the ultrafinder utility to find the stuff since its hard to find good sites really.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I LOVE genning worlds! it's so interesting. I was trying to gen at least 500 years of history and still have megabeasts but all I could get was 138. (75% dead). Dang they die fast, maybe it's because I had 50 civs...

Needless to say I'm starting a new ocean-side fortress. Magma pipe, joyous wilds ocean, AND NO AQUIFER! I couldn't believe it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Regarding my recent sub-project, I've gotten to liking worldgenning. I mean, figuring the parameters, looking for an ideal site, making sure it meets specs; and if you can do it without having to use any kind of finder, congrats. You know how to hunt for a location.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really do that anymore. When I get the urge to play me some DF I just get Dwarf Heaven and play the living hell out of it, then i set it aside for 6 more months.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: When putting in parameters for searching sites around the world, is there any way to browse multiple hits or are you stuck with the first one the game finds?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: When putting in parameters for searching sites around the world, is there any way to browse multiple hits or are you stuck with the first one the game finds?

No but this has been suggested many many times, I hope toady does it.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find it more of a challenge when you dont have everything you need or want.
I try to find very flat areas. I am currently on a map which seems devoid of stone other than that in my stream and waterfall.

Cleared hundreds of trees for farmland and have made above ground houses in crazy manner. :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I find it a little tedious, but will stick to a given world I enjoy like glue once I find one, so I tend to be VERY selective about my worlds.  I like understanding the history of my world, and it's just too much reading to get a general gist of my world if I go through more than one world every other month.

Because of this, yes, before I embark on anything but a gen after changing some raws as a test run, I will spend all day genning worlds until I get absolutely fed up with the system, and just settle on the best candidate I'd already uncovered.

Then I have to keep aborting embark until I have a batch of dwarves with personalities I like.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare